[ASC-list] ASC Conference 2016

Joan Leach joan.leach at anu.edu.au
Mon Feb 22 06:37:45 UTC 2016

Dear all,
Today's the last day for the early-bird tickets--grab yours now.  I am enormously proud of the schedule of panels and plenaries that our colleagues have put together for this conference.  I'm also really looking forward to the view from Room360 at QUT--the 11th, Mark it now!

On a personal note, Professor David Throsby has for some time been a personal hero of mine, asking those of us who work in the culture industry to up our game in arguments about the value of cultural resources.  AND, given that science is a cultural resource, I'm very much looking forward to his talk.

And then there's John Cook of the skeptical science website, Kelly Fielding who is an international leader in the social psychology of anti-science...

We will get to hear from the Chief Scientist, Dr Alan Finkel about his views on science communication in light of the innovation agenda.

And, we've got an all-star panel of science journos who will remind us why they are best ones to get seated next to at dinner.

Add to that, Dr Christine O'Connell who is going to be talking about the work of the Ålan Alda Centre for Science Communication and a host of international and Australian science communication experts...and hopefully, you.

I'm looking forward to a seriously packed day where we come to discuss the issues driving science communication right now.  And then follow it with a drink in the fabulous "CUBE" at QUT.  I hope to see you there!

Best,
Joan

President, Australian Science Communicators

Professor Joan Leach
Director, Australian National Centre for the Public Awareness of Science-
A Centre for the Australian National Commission for UNESCO
The Australian National University
joan.leach at anu.edu.au<mailto:joan.leach at anu.edu.au>

Mailing address:
CPAS
ANU College of Mathematical and Physical Sciences
Peter Baume Building (42a)
The Australian National University
Daley Road, Acton, ACT 2601
Australia