[ASC-list] Listserv posting request

Susan Rowland s.rowland1 at uq.edu.au
Mon Feb 29 21:50:38 UTC 2016

Dear Science Communicators,

We are currently building an online resource called CLIPS (Communication Learning in Practice for Scientists) at UQ. It is designed to help undergraduate science students communicate science in multiple ways to diverse audiences. So far we have built modules on answering short-answer questions, presenting mathematical arguments and calculations, and presenting data using posters. We are building other modules as well (e.g., "you be the marker", "presenting data using graphics")

We would like to build an introductory module that gives students an overarching framework for thinking about communication for multiple purposes to diverse audiences. Fundamental to this is the idea of getting students to think about audience, purpose, and modes and genres of delivery.

Does anyone know if there is a published, scholarly framework for these ideas? So far we have found plenty of descriptions of tacit practices, statements on websites, and books that encourage people to think about audience, purpose, and genre.

We have not seen a published scholarly justification for why these things are core to communication in science and why they are more important than other considerations.

Does anyone have suggestions for papers or studies we should read and refer to? Have we missed any core ideas in science communication?

Thank you!

Susan (s.rowland1 at uq.edu.au<mailto:s.rowland1 at uq.edu.au>) on behalf of the CLIPS team Louise Kuchel, Kay Colthorpe, Joan Leach, and James Hardy

Associate Professor Susan Rowland, PhD, GCHEd.

Deputy Director Institute for Teaching and Learning (ITaLI)
and
Teaching and Learning Research Focused Academic
School of Chemistry and Molecular Biosciences
The University of Queensland