[ASC-list] Today at 1:30pm AEST online: meet Prof Nancy Longnecker, science communication academic and former agricultural research scientist, from UWA to University of Otago.

Kali Madden office at asc.asn.au
Wed Jul 27 23:49:27 UTC 2016

Dear ASC-List,

Today's member guest has been a member of ASC since 1996. Before becoming a
science communication academic, Nancy was an agricultural research
scientist and a professional science communicator with a cooperative
research centre. She says, “The early part of my career in agricultural
research provided perspective that has been important for my development as
a professional science communicator and as a science communication
academic.” Living in Perth for 26 years, Nancy developed and delivered the
science communication undergraduate and postgraduate programs at the
University of Western Australia. She was president of the WA ASC branch
from 2004- 2007. During that time, she represented WA on the national ASC
executive committee, serving as Vice President in 2005. In 2014, Nancy was
on the program committee for the ASC conference in Brisbane. She, Claire
Harris and Kali Madden co-edited ASC’s first published conference
proceedings, available at www.asc.asn.au/publications/.

In July, 2014, Nancy joined eight other academic and professional teaching
staff at one of the world's largest postgraduate facility for Science
Communication, the University of Otago's Centre for Science Communication
in Dunedin, New Zealand. Nancy’s research looks at factors that affect
people’s attitudes towards science-related issues. “Our studies have
involved a spectrum of interest levels – people who are or want to become
scientists, people who volunteer to work with scientists, people who want
to know more about science and people who have no apparent interest in
science at all. Ultimately, our aim is to improve relevance and usability
of scientific information as well as effectiveness of science outreach and
engagement,” she says. Join us online today to meet Nancy.

You can read more about the event and post your related questions and
comments here even if you know you can't attend live:

https://www.facebook.com/events/953147064798992/

Use the "Show in My Timezone" button on the webinar page here
http://www.anymeeting.com/AuSciComm to quickly convert our *1:30pm AEST*
time to your own.

This webinar is the twenty ninth Meet the Member in the 2016 ASC webinar
series. The series is free for all current members of the ASC and SCANZ.

Use this link to register to meet Nancy (register to receive both live
event access and replay links):

http://www.anymeeting.com/AuSciComm

Please NOTE that some users are having difficulty registering through the
above link due to an undiagnosed browser issue. If you cannot see the
events and registration buttons please contact the office for a direct
invitation to attend.

To keep up with new events as they come online you can subscribe to events
on the events tab at the ASC national Facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/auscicomm/events

If you missed a webinar and want to check the replay you can do that from
the webinar portal on the "Past Webinars" tab here:

http://www.anymeeting.com/AuSciComm

Replays are also available from the member-only web page here (you must
login to access this page):

http://community.asc.asn.au/page/MemberWebinars

If you haven't already, subscribe to our discussion list from here:

Join the ASC Facebook group here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/auscicomm/

Register for individual events to receive your webinar invite, automated
event reminders and replay links from here or email for a direct invitation:

http://www.anymeeting.com/AuSciComm

Contact us on members at asc.asn.au with any questions, suggestions and other
comments.

Best,

Kali
Executive Officer
Australian Science Communicators

* ASC Member note: if you have NOT been receiving our monthly member-only
newsletter direct to your inbox your membership may have lapsed. Contact
office at asc.asn.au to check your membership status if uncertain.

[image: photo]
*Kali Madden*
p:office.asc | e:office at asc.asn.au | w:http://www.asc.asn.au/ | a:Suite