[ASC-list] Evaluating 'pop up' science experiences

Chris.Krishna-Pillay at csiro.au Chris.Krishna-Pillay at csiro.au
Tue Mar 8 00:56:24 UTC 2016

Hi Pete

Evaluating impact is really hard. In my mind it sits somewhere between a holy grail, a black art, a professional obligation and a futile pursuit. That said, as a driver of evaluating science communication/engagement efforts, I think it’s worth chasing.

The idea of taking science to the people is something that we have been driving for many years. An important component of this allowing a diversity of interest and values within specific events/activities as much as possible to maximize the likelihood of engagement.

Events and activities that we have coordinated that embrace this approach include Market of the Mind (http://re-science.org.au/science-event/market-mind-2649), Living Science at the Market (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEg-FXJlxUA) and Ologism (http://www.ologism.com/).

We have also done some exploration of interesting approaches to evaluating these endeavours. This has included observational analysis and embedded peer-assisted evaluation. Although we have not published any of this data, my colleague Carly Siebentritt included an overview of it at the ASC conference in 2014 (https://vimeo.com/71474898).

You might also be interested in a couple of reports prepared by Sweeney Research and Quantum Market Research, commissioned by the Victorian Government (http://dsdbi.vic.gov.au/publications-research-and-data/research-and-data/science-and-community-research).

You might also be interested in this 2014 piece in JCOM 2014 (http://jcom.sissa.it/sites/default/files/documents/JCOM_1301_2014_C04.pdf).

Cheers
Chris KP

Chris Krishna-Pillay