[ASC-list] evaluating a pop-up event - Re: ASC-list Digest, Vol 136, Issue 7

Will Rifkin willrifkinphd at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 23:04:35 UTC 2016

Pete,

Some quick thoughts in terms of evaluating pop up events, or any science communication event.  Your interest in evaluating the impact of the event is laudable.

0.  There are easy and simple approaches, and they are wrong …

1.  A study completed in the UK suggested that science enrichment activities in general retain student interest in science rather than converting students to science lovers.  So, be clear about the event's aspirations and put them in the perspective of your target audiences.

2.  Any event is part of a young person's, or adult's, 'career' in relation to science enrichment events.  So, look at the pop up event in the context of a stream of activities.  Consider asking them about this stream of activities.

3.  From the perspective of seeing your event in a stream of science enrichment activities, look for evidence of 'collective impact' (see definitions on the web), what your event contributes to, rather than the effects of the event alone.

4.  Be very clear about who you are trying to impress with the evaluation.  Involve key stakeholders in formulating the evaluation.  They will think of things that you might never consider.

5.  Figure on iterating toward a worthwhile evaluation approach.  Experiment with surveys, interviews, focus groups, and observation.  Aim to triangulate employing several methods.

6.  An ambitious and time-consuming strategy can be what is called by some 'shared measurement' (again, see definitions on the web).  That aligns with aspirations of 4th or 5th generation evaluation (written up in the academic literature) - the basic idea being, again, to involve key stakeholders.

Hope that helps.

Will

Will Rifkin
SaMnet HQ
c/- U of Sydney, School of Physics
willrifkinphd at gmail.com
0402 612 586 mobile

Assoc Prof Will Rifkin | Chair in Social Performance
Centre for Social Responsibility in Mining | Centre for Coal Seam Gas

Sustainable Minerals Institute | The University of Queensland  |  Brisbane, QLD, 4072 AUSTRALIA
M: +61 (0) 401 701 217 | E: w.rifkin at uq.edu.au
W: www.csrm.uq.edu.au | www.ccsg.uq.edu.au | www.smi.uq.edu.au
Twitter: @resourcerules

CRICOS Provider Code: 00025B