[ASC-list] Speaking of social scientists ....

Vicki Martin Vicki.Martin at scu.edu.au
Thu Mar 10 00:55:41 UTC 2016

A message from Alex Gaut, who was unable to post her reply. Alex has given permission for her response to be forwarded to the list. I hope to hear from non-social scientists, too, otherwise we are just talking amongst ourselves. If you have any thoughts, experience or other comments about the communication of social science in science communication practice, please let us know.
Cheers,
Vicki
_______
Reply from Alex Gaut:

I say emphatically, YES!!

And not just communicating it, but also more collaborative projects including both social and other scientists are very much needed!

I work in the environment sector and given that the world's environmental problems are due to humans, humans have to also be the solution, which means working with people, not against them. I am always (and I mean constantly) amazed at the lack of inclusion of social scientists in environmental projects, especially at the academic level.

I have a background in hard science and last year finally signed up to do a Masters in a social science for this exact reason! So now I'm doing a research project in environmental psychology, to which most people say 'Oh, that's a thing?' and I constantly bang on about how much is known about human relationships with a variety of environments, including natural ones.