[ASC-list] Looking for national experiment ideas

Mike McRae chthonicdreams at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 15 02:10:17 UTC 2016

For the past year I've been working on an education project that aims to help students learn the scientific method. Called 'Redi', it is a template teachers can modify to deliver laboratory reports, which scaffolds and describes the steps in an experiment. By mid year we will have activities and hopefully videos that will help guide students in understanding concepts such as hypothesis and variables and different types of results.
We'll have the program in beta in term 2 (any teachers who'd like to sign up, let me know!), and aim to launch in August during National Science Week.
I'd love to run an event in its lead-up, such as a national experiment. We can do something fairly simple and straight forward, but I'd love to do something where we can collect all the data and use it in some way. Especially if it has a social conscience.
That means I'm after any researcher who has a simple experiment which uses accessible materials, which can model a simple investigation approach, and produce data they think they can use.Any other ideas would be immensely appreciated.
Mike
(cross posted on Facebook)