[ASC-list] Your life’s work in 30 seconds: media training next Monday in Melbourne, then in Sydney

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Wed Mar 16 01:29:02 UTC 2016

Dear ASCers,
We have dates for our next few media training workshops in Melbourne and Sydney. If you know of anyone who is interested, please forward this on. And we can offer ASC members a half price place (if you’re paying for it yourself). If your big organisation is paying then we can offer 20 per cent off.
Conveying the complexity of your research, your life’s work, into a 30-second grab for the media can be hard.
The solution is to shape the essence of your science into a story.
Over the course of a day, two experienced science communicators will work with you to find the story in your research.
Over the years we’ve helped Monash launch the world’s first printed jet engine, revealed the loss of half the coral on the Great Barrier Reef, helped CERN announce the Higgs boson, and revealed the link between CSIRO’s Wi-Fi patent and Aussie astronomy.
We will help you find the right words to explain it in a way that works for the media, as well as for government, industry and other stakeholders.
Working journalists from television, print and radio will explain what makes news for them and you will practice being interviewed in front of a camera and on tape.
The training will help you feel more comfortable in dealing with journalists when media opportunities arise.
We’ve got courses coming up in:

·         Melbourne: Monday 21 March and Tuesday 19 April at the Royal Society of Victoria

·         Sydney: Tuesday 12 April at Business Events Sydney
We can also hold courses in other locations or on other dates. If you have at least four participants, we can probably find others in your area to make a course viable. If you can guarantee six participants, then we’re happy to confirm a course in your city/campus.
Media training courses are $800 +GST per person, and include lunch, morning and afternoon tea, and lattes on demand.
Or if you want a brief introduction to the media for a larger group (20 to 200 people), talk to us about our ‘Meet the Press’ sessions.
If you’d like to book a place in a course, contact Ellie Michaelides at ellie at scienceinpublic.com.au<mailto:ellie at scienceinpublic.com.au> or on (03) 9398 1416.
You can read more about our courses at www.scienceinpublic.com.au/training<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/training>.
Kind regards,
Niall