[ASC-list] Adelaide-based job going at the Australian Science Media Centre

Susannah Eliott Susannah at smc.org.au
Thu Mar 24 01:06:32 UTC 2016

Hi All,
This job would suit an early career scientist/science communicator with a passion for news. If you'd like to have a chat to someone here about the position you can email Lyndal Byford at Lyndal at smc.org.au<mailto:Lyndal at smc.org.au> or phone her on 08 7120 8666

Cheers
Susannah

Media Officer
Total remuneration package circa $50,000-$60,000 plus superannuation contributions
One year contract with the possibility of extension
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
-------------------------
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the team at the Australian Science Media Centre (AusSMC). We are looking for a media officer with a passion for science and the news to help us make, break and react to some of the biggest science stories in the media.

The AusSMC is a national, independent, non-profit service for the news media, giving journalists direct access to evidence-based science and expertise. We strive to encourage and assist journalists to cover science and to help scientists and institutions engage with the media. Our aim is to empower the Australian public, and ultimately to help build a more scientifically literate society. We provide commentary and analysis from scientists, take inquiries from journalists, run online briefings and help train scientists to engage more effectively with the media.

The Centre works with journalists to help them cover science as well as identify the science angles in everyday news stories and works with the scientific community to help them interact more effectively with the media and ensure that their voices are heard on issues of national importance.

This is not a role for the faint-hearted - but if you can work with a calm head when things are busy and demanding then this is the job for you.
We are looking for someone with a science, communication or journalism degree who would like to launch a career in science media, ideally with some experience in science communication. The position is based in Adelaide and will require occasional interstate travel.

A position description and selection criteria are available here<http://www.smc.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/2016-Media-officer-Job-Spec.pdf>

Applicants are strongly advised to address each essential and desirable criterion in their application cover letter and, where possible, provide examples of relevant experience. Apply to jobs at smc.org.au<mailto:jobs at smc.org.au> by no later than COB Monday 11 April 2016.

http://www.smc.org.au/about-us/positions-vacant/

Dr Susannah Eliott
Chief Executive Officer

Australian Science Media Centre (AusSMC)
Street address: The Science Exchange, 55 Exchange Place, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Postal address: PO Box 237, RUNDLE MALL SA 5000

Follow us on Twitter<http://twitter.com/AusSMC> and Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/AusSMC>
Media enquiries: info at smc.org.au<mailto:info at smc.org.au> | (08)<http://www.smc.org.au/> 7120 8666

[cid:image001.png at 01D0ADB1.F1DF6330]

The AusSMC presents Scimex, the Science Media Exchange<https://www.scimex.org/>. Scimex<https://www.scimex.org/> is our new breaking science news portal for Australia and New Zealand. The AusSMC is an independent, not-for-profit service for journalists, working to improve links between the news media and scientific community. We aim for a better informed society with greater access to evidence-based science.