[ASC-list] Underwater exploration livestream begins soon!

Programs programs at discovery.asn.au
Mon May 9 04:16:17 UTC 2016

Nautilus Live (www.nautiluslive.org<http://www.nautiluslive.org>) is a website that live streams footage from two ROVs (remotely operated vehicles) that will be fixing underwater observatories and exploring ocean depths of the Eastern Pacific Ocean from tomorrow onwards.  When the ROVs are diving, viewers can ask questions that the team operating the vehicles and driving the mission will receive.  I highly recommend tuning in sometime this season (which runs until September) to check out science communication on the fly, and take a glance at the amount of resources that are growing on the website.  The aim is to engage students with ocean exploration, and empower teachers to be involved.  The quality of images is so fantastic, that museums around the world have the content streaming as part of their exhibits and also run Q&A sessions with the science communicators onboard the vessel via video conferencing.

I will be heading the Education and Outreach team on this ship, the E/V Nautilus, throughout June, and would love to receive questions on the livestream from those in the ASC community!  My role is as a Science Communication Fellow, which any teacher or science communicator can apply for at the end of the year.  More information on this is at www.oceanexplorationtrust.org<http://www.oceanexplorationtrust.org>

If you have any ideas on how you might want to use this resource, or would like more information, please do not hesitate to contact me!

Cheers,
Rachel Rayner
Science Communication and Strategic Marketing
Discovery Science and Technology Centre
7 Railway Place, Bendigo, VIC 3550
programs at discovery.asn.au<mailto:programs at discovery.asn.au>
(03) 5444 4400