[ASC-list] Melbourne ANZAAS Vic Division & YSA-Melb Annual Dinner, Fri 18 Nov, 7:00pm; Prof Sarah Maddison, Planet Formation

David Vaux vaux at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Nov 4 01:28:57 UTC 2016

ANZAAS Victorian Division – YSA Melbourne

Annual Dinner 2016

Reminder: You are cordially invited

School students, please extend this invitation to your parents and teachers.

This year's dinner will be at The Royal Society of Victoria Building, 8 La Trobe Street Melbourne, on Friday 18th November 2016. Arrival at 7:00 for a 7:30 pm start.

RSVP by midnight Wednesday 9th of November, via http://www.anzaas.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/ANZAAS-YSA-dinner-2016.pdf <http://www.anzaas.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/ANZAAS-YSA-dinner-2016.pdf>, to save your spot!

Places are limited so please book early to avoid disappointment

This event is open to all, however preference will be given to ANZAAS Members

 This year our distinguished speaker will be Professor Sarah Maddison. Sarah Maddison is the Dean of the School of Science and a professor of astrophysics at Swinburne University of Technology. She has a PhD in computational astrophysics as well as a BSc(Hons) in applied mathematics from Monash University, and has held postdoctoral fellowships in the USA and France. Sarah’s research focuses on planet formation, specifically how tiny grains grow to become planets, which she studies both observationally with the world’s largest radio telescopes and via numerical simulations with supercomputers.

Presentation Title: Planet formation: what we know, what we think we know, and what we wish we knew!

Abstract: Planets form in the dusty disks that surround young stars, but exactly how tiny grains grow into planetary bodies is not well understood. By studying the different evolutionary phases of these dusty disks, we gain valuable insights into the planet formation process. I will present a brief overview of disk evolution theories and work being done to advance our understanding of planet formation, and how the combination of both observational and numerical techniques are needed to make progress in this field.

The cost of the dinner is $40 per person, $25 for Young Scientists of Australia (YSA) members. For $15, students aged 15-25 can join YSA on the night (or beforehand) and still qualify for the full discount. The dinner includes buffet-style catering with a selection of beers, wines, juice and soft drinks. (Alcohol will not be served to students.)

Please book by midnight Wednesday 9th of November, as shown at http://www.anzaas.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/ANZAAS-YSA-dinner-2016.pdf <http://www.anzaas.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/ANZAAS-YSA-dinner-2016.pdf>.

For further info visit http://www.anzaas.org.au/anzaas-ysa-dinner-2016-event/ <http://www.anzaas.org.au/anzaas-ysa-dinner-2016-event/> or contact Ricardo Cannizzaro at ricardo.cannizzaro at gmail.com <mailto:ricardo.cannizzaro at gmail.com>.

We hope to see you there!

ANZAAS Victorian Division Committee

The information in this email is confidential and intended solely for the addressee.
You must not disclose, forward, print or use it without the permission of the sender.