[ASC-list] Job advert for new director of NZ International Science Festival, Dunedin

Nancy Longnecker nancy.longnecker at otago.ac.nz
Fri Nov 18 02:50:03 UTC 2016

If you are interested, please contact  projects at scifest.org.nz<mailto:projects at scifest.org.nz>  for a job description or contact Michele Coleman on  64 3 479 3076. Applications close 8 am  on Monday  5 December 2016

DIRECTOR - NZ INTERNATIONAL SCIENCE FESTIVAL

Since 1997, the NZ International Science festival has been inspiring the community about the role that science plays in their daily lives, and encouraging young people to think about aspects of science in their future career choices. The festival has grown to be one of the premier events in Dunedin, and is a unique addition to the events landscape.  The festival's home is Dunedin, however a core focus for the organisation is also to collaborate with providers to increase the profile of science to key groups nationwide

In 2016, we held 170 different events as part of the festival, ranging from the "science of swimming" at a public pool through to the "science of superfoods" evening meal and hosting of international guests that included the second-in-command at NASA, a submarine designer and founders of an international organisation that develops 3D printed limbs for amputees. It's fair to say that this role makes every day interesting, and no two days  are the same!

After 6 years with the festival, our current Director is moving on to new challenges, and we are looking for a new Director for the festival
We want someone who:

-          loves creating exciting events, and has plenty of experience at it

-          is a good relationship manager and enjoys working with others to get things done

-          has a background in sponsorship, large event management and marketing

If you answered yes to all of these, then we want to hear from you.  You need to be  a self starter, creative, experienced  in festivals or events involving lots of different activities, have the ability to manage a wide range of stakeholders and be familiar with relationship and account management. With a festival that has a large number of  hands on  events around many different venues you need to be able to juggle lots of plates.  The role is a full time role based in Dunedin..

The festival is a unique event in New Zealand , and  we work with many different organisations, from Universities to kindergartens and businesses through to international embassies. There's no shortage of challenge or variety in this role !

If you are interested, please contact  projects at scifest.org.nz<mailto:projects at scifest.org.nz>  for a job description or contact Michele Coleman on 03 479 3076. Applications close 8 am  on Monday  5 December 2016