[ASC-list] The Great ASC debate returns to #ASC2017 - the topic - Celebrities should endorse scientific outcomes!

Ian M. ianmcd85 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 28 01:43:36 UTC 2016

Hi ASCers,

At #ASC2014, the topic of social media's role in science was debated. It was a lively, fun and energetic debate full of laughter and insight. It even made it to ABC RN - http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bigideas/social-media-and-science/5311074

Social media and science - Big Ideas - ABC Radio National ...<http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bigideas/social-media-and-science/5311074>
www.abc.net.au
Is social media a hero or a villain in making science accessible to a global audience? We join the debate at the Australian Science Communicators Conference.

Well, guess what! WE ARE BACK IN 2017 and I am putting the call out for debaters.

The topic in 2017 will be:  Celebrities should promote scientific outcomes! http://2017conf.asc.asn.au/the-great-asc-debate-celebrities-should-promote-scientific-outcomes/
[https://s0.wp.com/i/blank.jpg]<http://2017conf.asc.asn.au/the-great-asc-debate-celebrities-should-promote-scientific-outcomes/>

The Great ASC Debate: Celebrities should promote scientific outcomes!<http://2017conf.asc.asn.au/the-great-asc-debate-celebrities-should-promote-scientific-outcomes/>
2017conf.asc.asn.au
Producer Ian McDonald, Communications Manager, Invasive Animals CRC Chair tba Expert Judges tba Affirmative Team (that celebrities SHOULD promote scientific outcomes) tba Negative Team (that celebr...

I am calling for expressions of interest to be involved as a debater and I need a total of 6 speakers who will get about 4 minutes max of speaking time.

Affirmative - that celebrities SHOULD promote scientific outcomes (3 speakers needed)
Negative - that celebrities should NOT promote scientific outcomes (3 speakers needed)

Interested? Email me back and we'll go from there. You will have need to have registered to attend the conference to be selected on one the debate teams.

Thanks,
Ian

Dr Ian McDonald

Science Communication Professional