[ASC-list] Canberra: Biology in the Pub, 19 Nov - call for presenters

Phil Dooley phildooley at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 10:56:11 UTC 2016

Hi All

Biology in the Pub is calling for new talent! Now's the chance to show off
your new research, your fascinating biology insights or your creative party
piece in a relaxed and supportive environment.

19 November, 2016, Smiths Alternative Bookshop
*https://www.facebook.com/events/1749766278618789
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1749766278618789> *

Eight scientists give eight-minute presentations of tightly packed
boisterous biology, in an informal supportive pub atmosphere. Your MC, Dr
Phil, will get the crowd in the mood for laughing, crying and wowing, so bring
your poems on evolution, your pet albino tarantula, your electric guitar, and
your best science gags. This is your chance to go out of the ordinary and
really knock them out with just how cool biologists are!

This is the first foray into biology for this format which has wowed
physics crowds with particle physics games, irreverent songs, poems, even
an electromagnetic conga line. And some plain old damn good lectures. All
brands of biology welcome!

DATE: Saturday November 19, 2016
TIME: 7.00 - 9.00 PM
VENUE: Smiths Alternative bookshop, Civic
COST (for audience): $10
Work required on your behalf : A measly 8 minutes (and maybe a practice run
or two). Note fine print below.

Note: I will be overseas until 20 October, so I may not answer email
immediately

Just drop me an email with a title, a description of your act, genre (demo,
music, comedy, talk, video, story etc), and your resource requirements,
along with a short bio.

Note: I will be Overseas until 20 October, so I may not answer email
immediately

Expressions of interest by Friday October 28, 2016 to philuponscience at gmail.
com
Ping me now to get involved,

Phil

The fine print:

* Acts are limited to strictly eight minutes. I mean it.

* You should include in your talk:
- one gag
- a graphic on every slide
- an application or relevance to the general public (test on non-physicists)
- An emotion (surprise, wonder, disappointment, confusion...)
- No graphs or equations. Unless they're absolute rippers.

* There are limited slots available on the night: we will do our best to
include as many participants as possible, selection will be based on
showcasing a range of topics, performances and experience.

* Available resources at the venue: powerpoint screen PC/mac, microphone,
PA sound system, dimmable lights, piano.

* Participants will need to inform us of their requirements for AV, power
etc before the night. Send _ALLLLLL_ videos etc for pre-test. I mean all.

* There will be limited help available for setup and packup, for heavy or
complicated equipment so please BYO roadies.

* Participants must ensure that the stage is clean and tidy for the next
participant.

---
Dr Phil Dooley
Science writer and presenter