[ASC-list] Physics in the Pub, Sydney Nov 28 - call for presenters

Phil Dooley phildooley at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 10:57:34 UTC 2016

Christmas is coming and you know that means Physics in the Pub - Monday
November 28. Call for presenters open now - the theme is Physics and Beyond.

You know the deal. Wow the audience with your eight minute whirlwind of
science wonder - physics where it reaches out and touches other sciences.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1788844664662084/

Try something new, rhyming couplets, a nativity play or even (gasp!) no
powerpoint!

The audience is waiting with bated breath so give them their hearts desire:
phabulous physics!

DATE: Monday November 28, 2016
TIME: 6.30 for pizza, show starts 7.00
VENUE: 3 Wise Monkeys Pub, upstairs function room,
   555 George St, Sydney (close to Haymarket)
COST: Free (plus free nibblies)
Work required on your behalf : A measly 8 minutes (and maybe a practice run
or two). Note fine print below.

Just drop me an email with a title, a description of your act, genre (demo,
music, comedy, talk, video, story etc), and your resource requirements,
along with a short bio. Or call me to discuss, workshop or develop ideas –
0414 94 5577.

Expressions of interest by Friday October 28, 2016 to philuponscience at gmail.
com. Note I will be overseas until October 20, so replies my be slow.

Email now to get involved,

Phil

PS: work available for AV geeks on the night. Contact me if you want some
$$ to help out.
PPS: There are mystery doorprizes for the audience, and also for presenters!

The fine print:

* Acts are limited to strictly eight minutes.
* You should include in your talk:
- one gag
- a graphic on every slide
- an application or relevance to the general public (test on non-physicists)
- An emotion (surprise, wonder, disappointment, confusion...)

- No graphs or equations (unless it is an absolute ripper!)

* There are limited slots available on the night: we will do our best to
include as many participants as possible, selection will be based on
showcasing a range of topics, performances and experience.

* Available resources at the venue: powerpoint screen PC/mac, microphone,
PA sound system, dimmable lights

* Participants will need to inform us of their requirements for AV, power
etc before the night. Send _ALLLLLL_ VIDEOS etc for pre-test.

* There will be limited help available for setup and packup, for heavy or
complicated equipment so please BYO roadies.

* Participants must ensure that the stage is clean and tidy for the next
participant.
---
Dr Phil Dooley
Science writer and presenter