[ASC-list] Next week on The Wholesome Show...

Will Grant will.grant at anu.edu.au
Tue Oct 4 05:13:42 UTC 2016

The next Wholesome Show is on NEXT WEEK
View this email in your browser<http://us13.campaign-archive2.com/?u=50659a2db287e9fd17b7e7e4f&id=d2354bb5c3&e=e00c8143da>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/50659a2db287e9fd17b7e7e4f/images/3415261c-798c-4ea8-8cdc-8478402e5adb.png]

Next Week<http://wholesomeshow.us13.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=50659a2db287e9fd17b7e7e4f&id=5ec7754ea6&e=e00c8143da> We're Talking Toonz

Good music is just the best, right? But bad music is simply evil, wrong and terrible.

If you’re feeling low, you just pop on a little Enya and suddenly the world’s a beautiful place. But if you accidentally play that Justin Beiber song that someone else must have put on your phone, life gets weird and confusing and irritating.

But why?

What is this mystical power music has over us? How can a simple pattern of rhythmic sounds be so mind-blowingly potent?

Like what about earworms. You know how it is. One minute you’re driving along and pondering the solution to global poverty and then for no apparent reason BAM!, you’re whistling Shake it Off and wondering if your new sunglasses make you look fat. What happened to solving poverty? Can't remember now. But goddamn, doesn’t Tay-Tay make you feel simply fabulous about forgetting?

Music may be the closest thing to actual magic that we have. In fact, music appears to have a universally strong influence on all living things. For example, did you know scientists have discovered* that if you play Bob Marley to this one species of flatworm they become insatiable cannibals?

OK, maybe that’s a slight exaggeration… But still, it’s clear that tunes are important and influential to pretty much all of humanity and have been throughout recorded history. So in this episode, we’re having a bit of a look at music and the many we ways we play with it, and it plays with us.

Why not come along <http://wholesomeshow.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=50659a2db287e9fd17b7e7e4f&id=4d6a0e0098&e=e00c8143da> and see if the rhythm gets you on Wednesday, October 12 at 7:30 at the Wig & Pen?

Nice warm hugs,
Rod'n'will

*no they haven’t. They really, really haven’t (ed.)

______
PS - get your tickets for our October 12 show here<http://wholesomeshow.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=50659a2db287e9fd17b7e7e4f&id=3bbaf213fd&e=e00c8143da>
PPS - also you oughta check out our Wholesome Podcast<http://wholesomeshow.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=50659a2db287e9fd17b7e7e4f&id=f936f9b310&e=e00c8143da>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/color-twitter-48.png]<http://wholesomeshow.us13.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=50659a2db287e9fd17b7e7e4f&id=df4a342cae&e=e00c8143da>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/color-facebook-48.png]<http://wholesomeshow.us13.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=50659a2db287e9fd17b7e7e4f&id=5faf1202e7&e=e00c8143da>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/color-link-48.png]<http://wholesomeshow.us13.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=50659a2db287e9fd17b7e7e4f&id=21c999a14a&e=e00c8143da>

Copyright © 2016 The Wholesome Show, All rights reserved.
You're receiving this email because you opted in on The Wholesome Show website. That's awesome!

Our mailing address is:
The Wholesome Show
Building 42a
Australian National University
Canberra, ACT  2601
Australia

Add us to your address book<http://wholesomeshow.us13.list-manage1.com/vcard?u=50659a2db287e9fd17b7e7e4f&id=9af7d5da0a>

[Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp]<http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=50659a2db287e9fd17b7e7e4f&afl=1>

Dr Will J Grant
Graduate Studies Convener | Australian National Centre for the Public Awareness of Science
The Australian National University | 1.06 Peter Baume Building, Building 42a<https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-35.2758661,149.1174669,79m/data=!3m1!1e3> | Canberra ACT 2601 Australia
will.grant at anu.edu.au<mailto:will.grant at anu.edu.au> | +61450105489 | 50241
calendar<http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=willjohngrant@gmail.com&ctz=Australia/Sydney&mode=WEEK&> | twitter<http://twitter.com/willozap> | skype: WillJ99 | web<http://cpas.anu.edu.au/person/dr-will-grant>
Cricos Provider# 00120C

Here’s something you might like: The Wholesome Show<http://wholesomeshow.com/>