[ASC-list] The science of LIFE - Nov 10

Dion Pretorius Dion.Pretorius at science.org.au
Thu Oct 13 03:10:33 UTC 2016

LIFE in Perth

WHEN: Thursday, 10 November 2016, 6.30pm - 8.00pm

WHERE: Perth Town Hall

Life is a strange and complex subject, but it affects us all - one Australian is born every 1.45 minutes, while one dies every 3.25 minutes.

Join MC Bernie Hobbs to learn more as three experts explore the science behind DNA, genetic modification, artificial wombs, the complicated ethical considerations, and possible legal frameworks to regulate these new technologies.

Speakers will include:

*                    Dr Hayley Dickinson, Embryology and Placental Biology, Hudson Institute for Medical Research

*                    Professor Ryan Lister, Epigenetics and Genomics Laboratory, University of Western Australia

*                    Dr Brenda McGivern, Law School, University of Western Australia

This is the fourth event in the Australian Academy of Science's five-part series, 'the science of LIFE & DEATH'. Through it, we explore life and death and how they affect us from the moment we start living. Our last show sold out, so be quick and grab a ticket!

More details and tickets are available at:
http://bit.ly/2cIJaTv

Dion Pretorius  Media Manager Communications and Outreach
Australian Academy of Science  Ian Potter House, 9 Gordon Street, Acton ACT 2601  |  GPO Box 783, Canberra ACT 2601
T (02) 6201 9452<tel:%2802%29%206201%209452>  F (02) 6201 9494<tel:%2802%29%206201%209494>  E dion.pretorius at science.org.au<mailto:dion.pretorius at science.org.au>  www.science.org.au<http://www.science.org.au/>