[ASC-list] Coming up on the Next Wholesome Show: "Can you handle the truth?"

Rod Lamberts rod.lamberts at anu.edu.au
Mon Sep 5 04:41:28 UTC 2016

What's the next Wholesome Show about?

You’ve probably already worked out that we at Team Wholesome <http://wholesomeshow.com/> have a lot of time to wonder about things. As independently mega-wealthy, gentlefolk-of-learning, we often spend weeks lying around the Wholesome Luxury Resort and Day Spa® just wondering.

But what do we wonder about?

Well recently we’ve been wondering if there was any knowledge that humanity doesn't need. Or shouldn't have. Or does need but is too risky to find out about. Or that some people should have but others shouldn’t. And also, we mused, if there should be any restrictions on research and knowledge, just how the hell should we decide who does what and who gets to know about it?

It all started when we talked with a medical doctor who thinks prohibiting recreational drugs is a bad idea, and actively researches and lobbies for different approaches. Turns out some people are not at all happy about that. At all.

So we wondered further…

If he’s right, what else that people currently consider to be evil, bad and wrong might need a re-think? Should we actually be looking for the best and most wonderful recreational drugs we can imagine? Do we need to focus less on nice, safe things like kittens and cakes, and more on ‘nasty’ things, like how a psychopath’s mind works, or why ear wax tastes so bad?

Of course if we do the danger is that the facts we find about our world could be a wee bit confronting. They could suggest we should go in directions we really don't like.

Could all get a bit awkward, eh? That’s why in this episode we’re going to see if we actually can handle the truth.

Why not join us live <https://www.eventbrite.com.au/register?orderid=db32f958732111e6a66322000b468704&client_token=7fcdf478f2ed48d99330b59bd29a1491&eid=25589660363> on Sept 14 at the Wig&Pen for a pint full of beer and a brain full of "woah"?

Nice warm hugs,
Rod'n'Will

PS - the next show is way sooner than you think (Sept 14). Why not <http://wholesomeshow.com/live/> grab a ticket<http://wholesomeshow.com/live/> for you and 15 of your closest friends?
PPS - we sold out the first 2 shows, so, you know, book early, book often<http://wholesomeshow.com/live/>
PPPS - is that a new shirt? It looks bloody wonderful!

Dr RG Lamberts

Deputy Director
Australian National Centre for the Public Awareness of Science (CPAS<http://cpas.anu.edu.au>)

The Wholesome Show<http://wholesomeshow.com/about/> - making life gooderer

College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences
Peter Baume Building (42a)
The Australian National University (Cricos Provider #00120C)
Acton, ACT 2601
P +61 2 6125 0747 | twitter: @rodl