[ASC-list] VIC event: SCI FIGHT science comedy debate, 20th April

Tom Lang langetc at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 07:27:46 UTC 2017

Nerds, comedy-goers, and fans of a good night out!

We're pleased to announce the debut of SCI FIGHT, a new science comedy
debate event at the Spotted Mallard (home of the Laborastory).

Your hosts are the quarrelsome science comedians Tom Lang (of *Love,
Factually*) and Alanta Colley (of *Parasites Lost*). They'll be joined by
Melbourne's funniest nerds and smartest comedians to fight it out
(rhetorically) for your approval (literally) live on stage (physically).
It's going to be eye-opening, mind blowing, and side splitting. No organ is
safe!

This round's topic:* "Humans are as good as it gets"*

We’re often pretty down on ourselves; we Homo Erectus. I mean, sure, we
caused climate change. We’ve eliminated more species than arctic frosts and
volcanoes combined. We invented hair in a can. But are we too critical? I
mean we’ve also done some pretty neat stuff. We closed the hole in the
ozone layer (after making it). We’ve been to space, and some of us have
even come back. We banned hair in a can. And the competition is pretty
bleak! Cockroaches can survive nuclear fallout but they're rubbish at
making pavlova. Tardigrades are immortal, but similarly rubbish at making
pavlova. Dolphins can’t even say ‘pavlova’. Are we the best sentient life
has to offer? Or is there a better option?

Tickets are available at the door, as well as online at
http://www.moshtix.com.au/v2/event/sci-fight-trivia-night/94591

The event is on April 20th at 7.30pm. Groups of 4 get tickets at a $5
discount, and tables are limited, so grab your lab partners, lock up your
guinea pigs, and get yourself a front-row seat!