[ASC-list] Significance of author position on a research paper

Heather Bray heather.bray at adelaide.edu.au
Thu Feb 9 00:03:43 UTC 2017

Hi Bianca (and everyone)

It’s discipline specific (and very different in HASS to Sciences), and what happens in practice is often different from what should happen. I know there was an awesome tool called ‘authorder’ to help PhD students in particular navigate this but I wasn’t able to find a good link to it.

Ideally, authorship should be established using the Vancouver protocol. I found a link here: http://www.icmje.org/recommendations/browse/roles-and-responsibilities/defining-the-role-of-authors-and-contributors.html

Tldr: An author should be someone who contributes to the concept, experimental design, data collection, analysis, interpretation of findings, drafting the paper, and being prepared to take responsibility for the work.

The order should be in order of contribution, although there is a convention that the most senior researcher (who supervises some of the other members) goes last, esp in the sciences. Some journals are asking us to detail the contribution of each member in our papers.

It is really important to have discussions about this even before you start work when you are in a team.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Heather

--

Dr Heather Bray

Senior Research Associate
Department of History
School of Humanities
Faculty of Arts
The University of Adelaide, AUSTRALIA 5005

+61 8 8313 5608

CRICOS Provider Number 00123M
and contains information which may be confidential and/or
copyright.  If you are not the intended recipient please
do not read, save, forward, disclose, or copy the contents
of this email. If this email has been sent to you in error,
please notify the sender by reply email and delete this
email and any copies or links to this email completely and
immediately from your system.  No representation is made
that this email is free of viruses.  Virus scanning is