[ASC-list] ASC-list Digest, Vol 147, Issue 6

Marina Hurley info at writingclearscience.com.au
Thu Feb 9 23:11:52 UTC 2017

Re: Significance of author position on a research paper

Hi Bianca,

The Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of research has a section
on Authorship (5.1) that presents an authorship protocol. In my opinion
there is a grey area relating to what is meant by 'intellectual
contribution'. But perhaps that's a discussion for another day :) Its
always a good idea to decide upon authorship at the beginning so there are
no surprises.

https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc/file/publications/r39_australian_code_responsible_conduct_research_150811.pdf

cheers

Marina

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 10:38:32 +1100
> From: Bianca Nogrady <bianca at biancanogrady.com>
> To: asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au
> Subject: [ASC-list] Significance of author position on a research
>         paper
>
> Hi all,
>
> this might be a stupid question, but what is the relative significance of
> the first and final author on a scientific paper? How is it decided?
>
> Thanks,

> --
> *Freelance science journalist and author*
> www.biancanogrady.com, 0411 420 913, Blackheath, NSW, Australia
>
> *The Best Australian Science Writing 2015
> <http://www.newsouthbooks.com.au/books/best-australian-
> science-writing-2015>*
> - Editor (New South, 2015)
>
> *The End: The Human Experience of Death <http://www.theendbook.net>*
> (Penguin Random House, 2013)
>
> *The Sixth Wave**: How to Succeed in a Resource-Limited World *
> <http://www.sixthwave.org>(Penguin Random House, 2010)
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>
> ------------------------------

Dr Marina Hurley
Lecturer & Consultant
*Writing Clear Science *
Visiting Fellow, Faculty of Science, UNSW
P.O. Box 2373
Richmond South
Victoria 3121
Mobile +61-416-09-7979