[ASC-list] Free ANZAAS talk, Melbourne, Wed 19 Juy 6:30pm; Dr Kaye Morgan "Playing with Light: from the Swimming pool to the Synchrotron"

David Vaux vaux at wehi.edu.au
Tue Jul 11 00:38:09 UTC 2017

Science Talk, MELBOURNE
All welcome, free, bring your friends!
Free pizza and drinks after the talk

At GTAC, in the grounds of University High School, corner Royal Parade and Story Street, Parkville (enter off Story Street or Royal Parade)

Wednesday 19th July 2017, 6:30 pm

​

Dr Kaye Morgan

School of Physics and Astronomy,   Monash University

 Playing with Light: from the Swimming pool to the Synchrotron

Everyday we observe patterns created by visible light, like the caustic pattern in a coffee cup or the bright lines dancing on the bottom of a swimming pool. These same kind of patterns can be observed with x-ray light, and if we understand how x-ray light behaves, we can exploit these properties to capture sensitive and quantitative x-ray images.  This talk will describe new ‘phase contrast’ x-ray imaging techniques that are in development in synchrotrons and which can capture images of not only bone, but also soft tissue structures like the airways. We will also discuss how these techniques are advancing biomedical research (e.g. treatments for Cystic Fibrosis) and diagnostic imaging.

Dr Kaye Morgan is a Veski Postdoctoral Fellow at Monash University, and also Hans Fischer Fellow in the Department of Physics, Technische Universität München. She works in the field of phase contrast x-ray imaging, and is developing new methods for sensitively imaging soft tissue at high resolution.
Forthcoming Talks
Wed 16th Aug    Dr Sasha Wilson Can we tailor how landscapes evolve to sequester carbon dioxide and metals?

Wed 20th Sept   A/Prof Andrew Elefanty   Stem cells

Wed 18th Oct    Dr Justin Boddey  New drugs for malaria

We are pleased to acknowledge the support by CSL and GTAC for the ANZAAS Melbourne science talks series

Further Info:         David Vaux       9345 2941                davidlaurencevaux at gmail.com<mailto:davidlaurencevaux at gmail.com>

http://www.anzaas.org.au/victoria/