[ASC-list] Brisbane Avid Reader Event - 31 July

Tara Roberson tara.maree.roberson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 07:56:39 UTC 2017

Hi ASC-ers

Passing this along in case some of you are keen. Thanks to Melina for the
tip-off!

Best
Tara

*Chris Turney - Shackled*
When: Monday 31 July 2017 6pm for a 6.00pm start.
Where: In store at Avid Reader Bookshop 193 Boundary Street West End
Tickets: $7.50 RSVP (http://avidreader.com.au/events/chris-turney-shackled) or
phone 38463422
*This event commences at 6:30pm. Printed tickets are not issued and your
booking will be on a door list under your surname.*
Phil Brown is in-conversation with scientist, writer and explorer Chris
Turney discussing his Antarctic memoir *Shackled*.
When Australian-based scientist Chris Turney’s expedition got stuck in the
Antarctic ice in 2013, it brought global attention to the dangers of the
world’s least-known continent – and its fragility. Turney tells his own
dramatic tale against the backdrop of the compelling history of Antarctic
exploration and inspired by fears for the continent’s future.
In 2013, Australian earth scientist Chris Turney led an ambitious
expedition to Antarctica. It promised so much – discovery, history,
adventure – but came with great risk.
The story of Turney’s ship, the Shokalskiy, and the plight of the 71 people
on board was broadcast around the world. We watched, listened and read as
they became trapped on Christmas Eve, the hull of the ship pierced by a
tower of ice. Efforts to rescue them were thwarted by fierce blizzards and
roaming icebergs.
It was the modern, wired version of Shackleton’s ill-fated voyage and
rescue, with one massive difference: Shackleton’s wife and children were
not with him.
*Shackled *is a classic adventure story with a twist. As the ghosts of
explorers like Shackleton, Mawson and Ross look on, the day-to-day
tribulations of a ship facing uncertain danger unfold before our very eyes.
We discover firsthand the latest scientific findings from the frozen
continent and learn the fates of the many intrepid explorers in whose
footsteps Turney and his team walked.
*Refund Policy*
If Avid Reader cancels an event, we will try to reschedule it for a later
date. If we cannot reschedule the event, or if you are unable to attend on
the amended date, your payment will be refunded in full. Except in special
circumstances, if you cancel a booking for, or are unable to attend an
event, Avid Reader cannot provide a refund.