[ASC-list] March for Science 2018 Melbourne

Lynette Plenderleith lynette.plenderleith at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 11:35:14 UTC 2018

This Saturday - 14th April, Birrarung Marr 1 pm - 3 pm

More info: https://marchforscienceaustralia.org/melbourne/

RSVP:
https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/march-for-science-melbourne-tickets-44828696839

More than ever before we need science to help solve our world’s biggest
problems.

Last year more than 10,000 Australians and almost 1.1 million people around
the world marched for science.

This year we’re hoping thousands of Australians join us on Saturday 14
April.

Speakers include:

*Ms Krystal De Napoli*

*Dr. Duane Hamacher*

*Dr. Linda McIver*

Professor Roger Jones

Dr. Andrew Siebel

*Dr Tien Huynh*

*You don’t need to be a scientist to march for science.*

We are a nonpartisan group of volunteers, marching for better science
literacy, communication, policy, and investment.

The politicisation of science has given policy makers permission to reject
overwhelming evidence and is a critical and urgent matter for all
Australians. It is time for people who support scientific research and
evidence-based policies to take a public stand and be counted.

We are scientists and science enthusiasts. We come from all races,
religions, gender identities, sexual orientations, socioeconomic
backgrounds, political perspectives and nationalities. Our diversity is our
greatest strength: a wealth of opinions, perspectives and ideas is critical
for the scientific process. What unites us is a love of science and an
insatiable curiosity. We all recognise that science is everywhere and
affects everyone. Science is often an arduous process but it is also
thrilling. A universal human curiosity and dogged persistence is the
greatest hope for the future.

This movement cannot and will not end with a march. Our plans for policy
change and community outreach will start with marches worldwide but it is
imperative that we continue to celebrate and defend science at all levels -
from local schools to federal agencies - throughout the world.