[ASC-list] Free screening of Ex Machina, hosted by Science Gallery Melbourne

Ellie Michaelides ellie.michaelides at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Aug 8 06:59:40 UTC 2018

Hi ASC-ers,

Artificial intelligence isn't a thing of the future anymore - self-taught AI is already smarter than humans at gaming, life-like interactive sex robots are in high demand, and Google Assistant can switch the lights in your home on and off at your request. Does AI make our lives more perfect?

Join Science Gallery Melbourne for a brief chat with PhD candidate and physiotherapist Jessica Williams followed by a screening of Ex Machina.

When: Friday 17 August, 6.30pm
Where: Federation Hall, Grant St, Southbank
Tickets: free but bookings required https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/sci-film-ex-machina-tickets-48055284650

Ex Machina synopsis

Caleb Smith (Domhnall Gleeson), a programmer at an internet-search giant, wins a competition to spend a week at the private mountain estate of the company's brilliant and reclusive CEO, Nathan Bateman (Oscar Isaac). Upon his arrival, Caleb learns that Nathan has chosen him to be the human component in a Turing Test -  charging him with evaluating the capabilities, and ultimately the consciousness, of Nathan's latest experiment in artificial intelligence. That experiment is Ava (Alicia Vikander), a breathtaking A.I. whose emotional intelligence proves more sophisticated - and more deceptive - than the two men could have imagined.

Ellie Michaelides | Science Engagement Coordinator
Science Gallery Melbourne

The University of Melbourne, 32 Lincoln Square North, Level 2, Carlton, 3053
T: +61 3 8344 6106  M: +61 404 809 789  E: ellie.michaelides at unimelb.edu.au<mailto:ellie.michaelides at unimelb.edu.au>
facebook.com/scigallerymel |  twitter.com/scigallerymel  |  melbourne.sciencegallery.com

I acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land on which I work, and pay my respects to the Elders, past and present.

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D31D8F.E823DE70]

CRICOS: 00116K

This email and any attachments may contain personal information or information that is otherwise confidential or the subject of copyright. Any use, disclosure or copying of any part of it is prohibited. The University does not warrant that this email or any attachments are free from viruses or defects. Please check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening them. If this email is received in error, please delete it and notify us by return email.