[ASC-list] Science Gallery Melbourne event - Mongrel Mutts and Show Clones

Ellie Michaelides ellie.michaelides at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Aug 15 06:36:34 UTC 2018

Hi ASCers,

Science Gallery Melbourne event: Mongrel Mutts and Show Clones, Sunday 26 August at 11am, South Car Park, the University of Melbourne

For centuries we've been obsessed with breeding dogs to fit in with all aspects of our lives, from helping us to hunt and herd, to fitting in our handbags. But years of breeding (and inbreeding) has seen problems develop in popular breeds - bulldogs with deformed skulls, cavaliers with major heart problems, pugs that can't breathe and labradors with hip dysplasia. Animal shelters are filled to the brim with dogs that need homes, yet our obsession with purebred pups isn't waning. Advances in technology also now mean that if your perfect dog is the one you already have, you can clone it! Just like Barbara Streisand.

Is our obsession with dog breeding a form of eugenics? Will breeding certain dogs be banned for ethical reasons? Will our future be filled with clones of our #1 pets?

This event will explore the science behind dog breeding, discussing the moral and ethical implications of breeding dogs and debunking myths around cloning our pets.

Tickets are free, book at https://melbourne.sciencegallery.com/mongrel-mutts-and-show-clones

Cheers,
Ellie

Ellie Michaelides | Science Engagement Coordinator
Science Gallery Melbourne

The University of Melbourne, 32 Lincoln Square North, Level 2, Carlton, 3053
T: +61 3 8344 6106  M: +61 404 809 789  E: ellie.michaelides at unimelb.edu.au<mailto:ellie.michaelides at unimelb.edu.au>
facebook.com/scigallerymel |  twitter.com/scigallerymel  |  melbourne.sciencegallery.com

I acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land on which I work, and pay my respects to the Elders, past and present.

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D31D8F.E823DE70]

CRICOS: 00116K

This email and any attachments may contain personal information or information that is otherwise confidential or the subject of copyright. Any use, disclosure or copying of any part of it is prohibited. The University does not warrant that this email or any attachments are free from viruses or defects. Please check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening them. If this email is received in error, please delete it and notify us by return email.