[ASC-list] Art of Hosting Conversations - training course in Canberra

Janet Salisbury janet.salisbury at biotext.com.au
Fri Jan 19 23:24:43 UTC 2018

Hi
Just letting you know about a 3-day training course of the Art of Hosting Conversations that Matter coming up in Canberra that will interest those of you trying to promote dialogue about complex issues, either within your organisation as you develop programs and teams, or with the wider community through public engagement and policy development. The training will give attendees multiple experiences of how to build cultures of collaboration with diverse people.

The Art of Hosting<http://www.artofhosting.org/what-is-aoh/> is a network that is rapidly spreading and growing all over the world, as organisations, communities, and people from every walk of life discover the power of conversation.  It is based on a practitioner network, with local communities of practice. You will see from the Art of Hosting website at the ‘In Practice’ tab, the many ways that this approach has been used in all sorts of settings around the world: http://www.artofhosting.org/what-is-aoh/case-stories/   (see, for example, the example under ‘Business’ at this tab about geoscience research planning at a conference in Canada last year)

The focus question we have created for our training is ‘What becomes possible when we learn to skillfully practice generative conversation?’

Our world needs generative conversations more than ever — conversations capable of producing and supporting diverse relationships and transforming activities. In an era of increasing complexity, big challenges, and increasingly adversarial politics, many of us are looking for new ways to engage in respectful conversations to generate deep collaboration and thoughtful action.

We are holding this training course in the heart of Canberra’s parliamentary area as a powerful symbol that we can collaborate for wise action across the many tough issues we face in our 21st century democracy. But the same principles apply from the largest to the smallest businesses, organisations, workplaces and community settings — anywhere where there are tough conversations that require deep listening and thoughtful balancing of different perspectives.

Registration
To purchase your ticket and get more information go to the Art of Hosting Canberra website here:
https://artofhostingcanberra.weebly.com

Let me know if you have any questions and I look forward to seeing you and your colleagues interested in this vital aspect of community engagement at the training.

If possible, please register early, or let us know your interest, so we can plan for the various expenses associated with the training course including bringing our colleague, and Art of Hosting Steward, Steve Ryman to Australia.

Warmly
Janet Salisbury
Mobile: 0416 167 280

The latest from Biotext
Water design: We have designed promotional material and award winning reports<http://www.biotext.com.au/project/environmental-consultancy/> for Aither, a water and environment consulting company. Daniel Baker wrote ‘Biotext's work stands out for its high-quality and professionalism. Aither has enjoyed a collaborative relationship with Biotext, and Biotext has consistently met our sometimes short deadlines on time and to budget. Biotext has been able to work flexibly and responsively to meet Aither’s unique needs as a small professional services firm.’