[ASC-list] Canberra event: Drugs, Cyborgs and the Call of the Wild: Health & Med Research in the Pub, July 11

Phil Dooley phildooley at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 06:08:34 UTC 2018

*Drugs, Cyborgs and the Call of the Wild*

Join us for an evening of extraordinary talks from local scientists – from
research on the tiniest molecules in our cells, up to the sweep of our
entire species.

Grab a warming beverage and find out about the latest breakthroughs in
drugs and medical technology that are making our lives and our world a
better place.

*When:* 7PM Wednesday 11th July, 2018

*Where*: Smith’s Alternative, 76 Alinga St, Civic

*Cost*: Free! Thanks to

                        Inspiring the ACT

                        Australian Society for Medical Research

                        ANU John Curtin School of Medical Research.

 No bookings, but turn up early as it’s always packed!

More details: https://www.facebook.com/events/291192718086292/

*The Line Up *

*David Caldicott (ANU Medical School) *is interested in novel illicit
drugs. For research purposes, of course. He even goes to festivals to find
them.

*Nalini Haynes **(Uni Canberra)* is a cyborg, a human enhanced by
technology. And she’s not the only one.

*Nardine Al-Nemr* *(Uni Canberra)* discussing self-fulfilling prophecies of
sci-fi on bio-hacking.

Why do we love a cute furry animal? Why are we drawn to wilderness? It’s
called biophilia, says *Ro McFarlane (Uni Canberra).*

*Christina Spry (ANU Biology)* studies how germs eat vitamins – that could
be the key to new drugs for malaria and tuberculosis.

*Jackson Thomas (Uni Canberra)* has a plan to eradicate scabies in
indigenous kids.

MC *Dr Phil Dooley, of Phil Up On Science*

The second Wednesday of every month is Science in the Pub, supported by
Inspiring the ACT. If you’d like to get involved, get your science covered,
call Dr Phil (philuponscience at gmail.com or 0414945577)

August 8 Ecology, thanks to Ecology @ Uni Canberra

September – date & topic TBA

October 10 – Physics, thanks to Aust Institute of Physics

---
Dr Phil Dooley
Science writer, videomaker, presenter and science communication trainer.
PhilUpOnScience.com.au
YouTube, Facebook, Twitter: Phil Up On Science
E: phildooley at gmail.com
P: 0414 94 55 77