[ASC-list] WA Event - Effective Evaluations

Miriam Sullivan miriam.sullivan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 12:33:23 UTC 2018

Do you have boxes of old surveys in your office that you never got around
to analysing? Or perhaps you simply wrote on your annual report that ‘93%
of participants enjoyed the event’ and didn’t dig any deeper?

Before you print your National Science Week surveys, it’s time to think
about what you will do with the data you collect. Australian Science
Communicators is pleased to offer this workshop on survey data analysis.

In this *Effective Evaluations* workshop*,* you will learn how to:

   - write survey questions that tell you something useful
   - choose the best graph for your purpose
   - compare different groups of participants
   - check for a change between pre- and post- tests
   - use Excel* to do basic statistical analysis

The workshop is targeted at evaluation data from surveys, particularly
those using Likert scales**. It’s designed for people who haven’t been near
a statistic since high school and don’t want to start now.

*Because you don’t want to learn to code in r, and SPSS is too expensive.
**You know, the ones with little circles that go from Strongly Disagree to
Strongly Agree

*Where*: Seminar Room at ICRAR/UWA, 7 Fairway Crawley WA
*When*: Wednesday 25th July 2018, 5-630pm
*How much*: Free for members. $10 at the door for non-members.
*How to register*: Use our Facebook event registration (where we'll also be
monitoring the discussion for any pertinent questions you might have in
advance), or you can use Eventbrite directly.

Facebook: (https://www.facebook.com/events/165378097666046/)
Eventbrite: (https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/effective-evaluations-tickets-
47942694891)
This will help us make sure we have enough material and contact the
participants.

*About the Presenter*
Miriam Sullivan is a lecturer at Curtin University and Co-President of
ASC-WA. As an undergraduate, she studied zoology so she wouldn’t need to do
any maths. Unfortunately, she stuffed up that plan by doing a PhD in
science communication that involved lots of surveys and statistics. Ever
since then she’s been doing evaluation research, designing surveys and
coaching students in data analysis.