[ASC-list] BRISBANE EVENT: Nasa astrophysicist Dr Jessie Christiansen- On the road to a billion planets

Damian Harris damian.harris at griffith.edu.au
Mon Jul 30 22:16:37 UTC 2018

[BANNER jesse]

I would like to extend a special invitation the members of the Brisbane Astronomical Society to an entertaining and informative afternoon with NASA astrophysicist Jessie Christiansen.
On the Road to a Billion Planets
Over the last 30 years, the number of exoplanets discovered outside our solar system has increased exponentially. We are now poised at an incredibly exciting time where we are moving from characterisation of individual exoplanets to studying their populations. What we are finding over and over again is that nature has more imagination than we do! The number and configurations of solar systems we have found has, in fact, raised far more questions than it has answered. I will discuss some of the most interesting discoveries, and introduce the NASA TESS mission, which will provide thousands of new planets (and questions!) for us to explore.

Join us for an engaging afternoon during National Science Week.

WHERE: The Shipinn, South Bank, Brisbane
WHEN:   Saturday 11 August 2018
TIME:     3:00 pm – 4:30 pm with an opportunity to network following presentations
COST:    FREE

Please respond by selecting one of the buttons below by Wednesday 8 August 2018.
Numbers are strictly limited, RSVP early to avoid disappointment.

Please feel free to share on your Facebook page and include our Facebook page @GriffithSciences.

<http://events.griffith.edu.au/d/wgq529/4W><https://events.griffith.edu.au/d/wgq529/>[accept]<https://events.griffith.edu.au/d/wgq529/>
________________________________

Dr Jessie Christiansen
NASA Exoplanet Science Institute at Caltech, USA

[nasaheadshot]Astrophysicist Dr Jessie Christiansen has been called the “Tomb Raider of exoplanet research”. A graduate of Griffith University, with a PhD from the University of New South Wales, she now works at the NASA Exoplanet Science Institute at Caltech. Jessie searches for, studies, and catalogues extrasolar planets – planets orbiting other stars. Her main research focuses on using the thousands of exoplanets found by theNASA Kepler mission to determine how common Earth-like planets might be in our galaxy. She is currently working on the NASA Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) which will search the entire sky to discover even more planets beyond our solar system.

[Facebook Icon]
Facebook        [Twitter Icon]
Twitter [YouTube Icon]
YouTube [Instagram Icon]
Instagram       [LinkedIn Icon]
LinkedIn        [News Icon]
News    [Forward Icon]

Damian Harris | Marketing and Engagement Manager
Griffith Sciences
Griffith University  | Gold Coast | QLD 4111 | G39 Room 4.32
T +61 7 555 27551 |  email damian.harris at griffith.edu.au<mailto:damian.harris at griffith.edu.au>
griffith.edu.au<http://griffith.edu.au/>
[https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B4JlqHfLvvz3NWJweEVSakV3TmM&revid=0B4JlqHfLvvz3bklWYm10em5Na1VCbUIrSmdlSlBmL0FPdXFzPQ]<http://www.remarkablegriffith.com.au/>
 PRIVILEGED - PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL
This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) and may contain information which is confidential or privileged.  If you receive this email and you are not the addressee or responsible for delivery of the email to the addressee(s), please disregard the contents of the email, delete the mail and notify the author immediately.
Griffith University - CRICOS Provider Number 00233E