[ASC-list] Melbourne Free ANZAAS Science Talk, Wed 20th June 6:30pm Prof Mark Cook

David Vaux vaux at wehi.edu.au
Mon Jun 11 22:51:11 UTC 2018

Science Talk, MELBOURNE
All welcome, free, bring your friends!
Free pizza and drinks after the talk

At GTAC, in the grounds of University High School, corner Royal Parade and Story Street, Parkville (enter off Story Street or Royal Parade)

Wednesday 20th June 2018, 6:30 pm

Professor Mark Cook

Director, Graeme Clark Institute, & Sir John Eccles Chair of Medicine

Seizure Prediction – New Solutions for an Old Problem

The concept of seizure prediction has intrigued physicians since ancient times, and was often felt linked to celestial activity such as phases of the moon. Seizure prediction has recently been shown to be clinically feasible, using an implanted device which continuously recorded the brain’s electrical activity. An unexpected  finding of this study was recognition of complex series of long and short cycles in seizure activity, which has allowed new approaches to seizure prediction. Along with less invasive devices, we are at the cusp of seeing systems of this kind being deployed into clinical practice to improve patient safety and management. I will discuss these developments, including a new implantable system for seizure monitoring that we have recently developed.

Prof Cook is developing treatments for intractable epilepsy. He has used novel imaging processes, and studied basic cell biology in epilepsy and the neurophysiology of epilepsy. Over the last 5 years his group has made significant inroads into developing therapeutic electrical stimulation strategies for the treatment of epilepsy, of proven effect in animal models and now being explored in humans.
---------------
Forthcoming talks:

Thurs 21st June      New Fellows' and Medal Winners' Symposium
5:45 pm for 6:00pm start  at  GTAC
          Hear from the newest Fellows of the Australian Academy of Science
          Listen to the winners of the Academy’s Medals

Wed 18th July        Professor Hugh Taylor
Harold Mitchell Chair of Indigenous Eye Health University of Melbourne
Closing the gap for vision

Wed 15th August    A/Prof Joan Heath
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute
Something Fishy

We are pleased to acknowledge the support by CSL and GTAC for the ANZAAS Melbourne science talks series

Further Info:         David Vaux       9345 2941                davidlaurencevaux at gmail.com<mailto:davidlaurencevaux at gmail.com>
http://www.anzaas.org.au/victoria/

The information in this email is confidential and intended solely for the addressee.
You must not disclose, forward, print or use it without the permission of the sender.

The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute acknowledges the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin
Nation as the traditional owners of the land where our campuses are located and
the continuing connection to country and community.