[ASC-list] Melbourne Free ANZAAS Science Talk, GTAC, Wed 17th October, Prof David Thorburn

David Vaux vaux at wehi.edu.au
Sun Oct 7 22:38:04 UTC 2018

Science Talk, MELBOURNE
All welcome, free, bring your friends!
Free pizza and drinks after the talk

At GTAC, in the grounds of University High School, corner Royal Parade and Story Street, Parkville (enter off Story Street or Royal Parade)

Wednesday 17th October 2018, 6:30 pm

------------------------------

Professor David Thorburn

Mitochondrial Research, Murdoch Children's Research Institute

"Three-person IVF to prevent mito disease - does the Australian Senate think that's a good idea?"

More than one child born each week in Australia will suffer from mitochondrial DNA disease, which often causes death in infancy. Mitochondrial DNA is not like the rest of our regular genes and is inherited only from our mother. Mitochondrial donation is an IVF approach that involves using a donor egg to provide healthy mitochondrial DNA for the parent’s nuclear genes. The UK government legalised this approach after a series of reviews on its utility, safety and relevant ethical issues. An Australian Senate Inquiry has now reported on these issues and on a pathway to considering legislative change in Australia to enable affected families to have a child without mitochondrial disease.

Professor Thorburn is the Theme Director of Genetics and Group Leader of Mitchondrial Research at the Murdoch Childrens Research Institute. He received his PhD from the University of Sydney before completing a Fulbright Fellowship at Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, California. His laboratory is the national referral centre for the diagnosis of mitochondrial disease in children, and has identified disease-causing mutations in over 280 patients in a total of eight mtDNA genes, 25 nuclear genes in which mutations had previously been described and 16 novel nuclear disease genes, including five of the nine known Complex I assembly defect genes.

----------
Forthcoming event:

Friday 16th Nov   YSA/ANZAAS Annual Dinner

We are pleased to acknowledge the support by CSL and GTAC for the ANZAAS Melbourne science talks series

Further Info:         David Vaux       9345 2941<tel:9345%202941>                davidlaurencevaux at gmail.com<mailto:davidlaurencevaux at gmail.com>
http://www.anzaas.org.au/victoria/

The information in this email is confidential and intended solely for the addressee.
You must not disclose, forward, print or use it without the permission of the sender.

The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute acknowledges the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin
Nation as the traditional owners of the land where our campuses are located and
the continuing connection to country and community.