[ASC-list] Do you want to bring the World Conference of Science Journalists back to Australia?

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Tue Apr 16 10:20:22 UTC 2019

Dear ASCers,

For Sydneysiders, a reminder about the briefing tomorrow (Wednesday) evening about this year's conference in Switzerland - It's at 6 pm at the Swiss Consul's residence. Details below in Sarah Brooker's original note to ASC.

And do you want to bring WCSJ or PCST back to Australia?

Sarah and I helped the ASC win and run the World Conference of Science Journalists in Melbourne back in 2007. The Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne agencies tasked with winning conferences for their cities are all interested in supporting a bid.
For us, running the conference was challenging but immensely satisfying. I think that Sydney would have a strong case in the future.

If you want to drive a bid I'd be happy to make introductions to the state agencies. You will need to get the ASC and/or AMWA onside, and you've probably got to plan for 2025 or perhaps 2023.

PCST came to Australia in 1996. So a return is long overdue. Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne have all expressed interest. Last year it was in Dunedin so you'd probably need to look out four to six years for a return to Oceania. Toss Gascoigne and Jenni Metcalfe have been involved since the beginning of PCST and could guide anyone thinking of a bid.

The other conference in 'our space' is the World Congress of Science and Factual Producers. It was in Brisbane last year and will be in Tokyo this year. So it probably won't be back our way for another eight to ten years.

Niall

________

Niall Byrne

Creative Director
Science in Public
0417 131 977

[cid:image002.png at 01D4D851.834F2620]

Celebrating French-Australian collaborations at
https://stories.scienceinpublic.com.au/france
More at www.scienceinpublic.com.au

82 Hudsons Road, Spotswood VIC 3015
Or call the office on 03 9398 1416