[ASC-list] Science Week events at Sydney Botanic Gardens & Parklands

Vanessa Fuchs Vanessa.Fuchs at bgcp.nsw.gov.au
Thu Aug 1 06:43:01 UTC 2019

Science Week events at Sydney Botanic Gardens and Parklands

Australian Botanic Garden, Mount Annan

Picnic under the Stars
In collaboration with the Macarthur Astronomical Society, we will show you the stars. Join us for this family friendly "Picnic under the Stars" where the Macarthur Astronomical Society will set up their telescopes for you to peer into, and our local astronomers will explain what you can see in the wide sky over the our beautiful garden.

When: 17 August 2019; 5-7.30pm
Where: Visitor Centre (meeting point)
Who: Families with children 5+
Book here<https://www.australianbotanicgarden.com.au/Whats-On/Picnic-Under-the-Stars>
The Science of PlantBank
Meet our PlantBank scientists at this 101 experience - hear them talk about their fascinating research areas that include the famous Wollemi Pine, rainforest plants and persoonia. Join them then in the PlantBank labs where they show you how they work or follow them into the nocturnal Cumberland Woodlands where they will explain the local habitat. A glass of wine and some snacks will round up an evening full of plants and science.
When: 16 August 2019 , 5.30-7.30pm
Age: 18+
Book here<https://www.australianbotanicgarden.com.au/Whats-On/The-Science-of-PlantBank-Unveiled>
Science in the Wild
Batman, Spiderman, Wonder Woman, or Cat woman - we all know about their fantastic strength and abilities. But did you know you can find fantastic superpowers right here in the Australian Botanic Garden? Join our scientists at their stalls and they will show what amazing superpowers you find in nature. Be sure to put on your cape and dress up as your favourite superhero for this great event.

When: Sunday 11 August

More info here<https://www.australianbotanicgarden.com.au/whats-on/science-in-the-wild-dinosaurs-vs-superpowers>

Centennial Parklands
The Planets - Music and Stargazing
Listen to excerpts from the beautiful "Planets" by Gustav Holst performed by the Symphonic Wind Ensemble from Sydney Youth Orchestras before you embark on an evening of star and planet gazing.

Dr Luke Barnes from Western Sydney University will give an introduction into stargazing and astronomy and the Sydney Skywatchers will provide guidance at their amazing telescopes. Let the music inspire you (and find the parts that inspired Star Wars).

When: 17 August 2019; 3-7pm
Where: Loch Avenue South
Who: Family and dog-friendly
Book here <https://www.centennialparklands.com.au/whatson/the-planets-concert-and-stargazing>

ParkArts - Sketching with Richard Brynes
Learn how your sketchbook can capture observations using a combination of pen, coloured pencil and watercolour wash. You can draw anything from garden perspectives to sketching people! Richard Byrnes will show you how to use the three media in combination to create vibrant depictions of the gardens. Suitable for artists of any level - beginners welcome. Complimentary tea and coffee included. Bring along your own sketch pad.
When: 25 August 2019; 10-12 am
Where: Discovery Centre
Who: 18+
Book here<https://www.centennialparklands.com.au/whatson/ParkArts-Sketching>

Science in the Swamp

A fun, free family festival of science displays, shows and activities to celebrate National Science Week (11 - 19 August).

Batman, Spiderman, Wonder Woman, or Catwoman - we all know about their fantastic strength and abilities. But did you know you can find fantastic superpowers right here in Centennial Park? Join our scientists at their stalls and they will show what amazing superpowers you find in nature. The incredible roving dinosaur will be coming back as well to show you a bit of pre-historic fauna. Be sure to put on your cape and dress up as your favourite superhero for this great event.

When: Sunday 18 August

More info here<https://www.centennialparklands.com.au/whatson/Science-in-the-Swamp>

Royal Botanic Garden Sydney

Astronomy at The Calyx
Join us for a glass of wine and an evening under the stars. Plus, learn from knowledgeable Aboriginal educator Drew Roberts on an Aboriginal perspective of the night sky.

When: 6 August
Where: The Calyx
Who: 18+
Book here<https://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/astronomy>

Bush Food experience
Join our passionate Aboriginal guides to discover how to incorporate native Australian bush foods with everyday ingredients

When: 17 August
Where: Rathborne Lodge
Who: 18+
Book here<https://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/whatson/Aboriginal-Bush-Food-Experience>

Living Laboratory

This is our chance to celebrate the science we do! Come along to support our scientists as they showcase our science to the general public, plus bring the family to get hands-on with science experiments and lots of fun activities!

Don't miss the Closing Party for Wild Thing exhibition <https://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/whatson/Wild-Thing-Closing-Party> at Lion Gate Lodge, part of Living Laboratory where we'll be celebrating all the feathered, fluffy, scaled, and slimy creatures within the Botanic Gardens with a range of activities for the whole family, including meeting Australian animals, Food with Friends Cafe, face-painting, and more.

When: Sunday 18 August

More info here<https://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/Living-Laboratory>

Blue Mountains Botanic Garden, Mount Tomah

Gondwana Garden in BMBG
Join in more science-week fun at BMBG! There will be giant Erth dinosaurs plus lots of fun hands-on activities for the whole family!

When: Saturday 17 August
More info here<https://www.bluemountainsbotanicgarden.com.au/Whats-On/Gondwana-Garden-Family-Day>

Vanessa Fuchs
Science Communicator

Botanic Gardens & Centennial Parklands
M 0438 892 594
E vanessa.fuchs at bgcp.nsw.gov.au<mailto:vanessa.fuchs at bgcp.nsw.gov.au>
Mrs Macquaries Road, Sydney NSW 2000

[facebook]<https://www.facebook.com/RoyalBotanicGarden/>[twitter-2]<https://twitter.com/rbgsydney>[instagram]<https://www.instagram.com/rbgsydney/> [podcast] <https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/branch-out/id1388761048?mt=2>  [linkedin] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/botanic-gardens-&-centennial-parklands/>  [youtube] <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErbZJ0kcUawDFZxHSNW75A>  [flickr] <https://www.flickr.com/photos/botanic-gardens-sydney/>