[ASC-list] WA Event - Science at the Fringe Festival

Cass Rowles cassandra.rowles at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 01:21:11 UTC 2019

Hi all,

Social event for WA members!

This year Scitech, Inspiring Australia, and FRINGE WORLD partnered to offer
STEM grants to performers. One of the recipients is Kinetica Circus. As a
social event for the festival, please purchase a ticket to the 15th Feb
showing of 450 YEARS, and we can discuss it afterwards over a drink.

What: 450 YEARS, a STEM grant recipient performing a circus show
When: Fri 15th Feb
Time: 6pm
Where: The Woodside Pleasure Gardens, Northbridge
Who: Members + friends
Tickets: https://fringeworld.com.au/whats_on/450-years-fw2019
Discussion (FB event): https://www.facebook.com/events/385017478994663/

Other STEM Grant recipients: https://fringeworld.com.au/stem-grants

The Show:
450 YEARS
Plastic is everywhere and it's polluting our planet. Did you know a plastic
cup takes 450 years to break down? Or that 2 million plastic bags are used
worldwide every minute? Kinetica imagines a future world where plastic
pollution has taken over and rules our everyday existence, weaving a
compelling story through circus, acrobatics and comedy. From the winners of
the 2017 FRINGE WORLD Best Circus Award comes a thought-provoking show for
all ages. A small change today can have a big impact tomorrow.

The Company:
Kinetica is a Western Australian contemporary circus company that has
presented many critically-acclaimed shows for FRINGE WORLD including A
Midsummer Night's Dream in 2015, Dark Matter in 2016, Interplay in 2017 and
Syncope in 2018 for which they were nominated for the prestigious FRINGE
WORLD Martin Sims Award. Kinetica also won the 2017 FRINGE WORLD Best
Circus Award for Sinsuality 2: Back in Bed, a provocative circus cabaret
that was produced in collaboration with one of Perth's favourite drag
queens Barbie Q Coals.

Kinetica also runs a popular circus school in Malaga that teaches circus
classes for adults and youth catering for skill levels from beginner to
professional.