[ASC-list] Can you help build the diversity of voices seen/heard on the ABC?

Toss Gascoigne director at tossgascoigne.com.au
Thu Feb 21 04:39:25 UTC 2019

Dear all,

In 2019, ABC News is working to improve its diversity of expert talent and spokespeople across news programming to get a more balanced and appropriate representation of men and women in our stories – and we would love your help to reach that goal.

Throughout February, ABC News will be focused on building out its central database of women who are subject matter experts and established or emerging leaders across a whole range of industries.

I would encourage individuals and organisations to help the ABC to identify talented women who can speak to a range of important issues.

The ABC is inviting women to nominate themselves or their colleagues as potential contributors to ABC News digital and broadcast platforms – as sources and commentators, or to provide analysis/opinion.

If you have never participated in a media interview or written an op-ed before and feel nervous or unsure, please don’t be discouraged from nominating.

The ABC says it is deliberately looking for fresh, diverse voices and perspectives from women of all backgrounds and ages to add to our talent pool, so be bold and put up your hand!

All nominees contacted by the ABC’s experienced interview producers and talent bookers will be guided and supported through the process.

Training in media skills is available from a variety of sources: on-line workshops and by engaging consultancy services for a more thorough grounding for those who wish to nominate and build their media skills.  The ABC cannot provide training.

This is your chance to contribute to the national conversation, have a say and help set the news agenda.

To nominate yourself or a colleague/s, simply fill out this form <https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=mkDBl3hw50e7lNHlNQPgEj5Fo_rp3iJCr2j3217RsWZUQzFaOEg4OEU1WEgyR0paME5XT09UQldHNS4u>. If you have multiple names and would prefer a template to fill out, email talentdiversity at abc.net.au <mailto:talentdiversity at abc.net.au>

Rhiannon Hobbins

50:50 Lead, ABC News

P   +61 2 8333 2866 <tel:+61283332866>

M   +61 451 060 956 <tel:+6160956>

E  hobbins.rhiannon at abc.net.au <mailto:hobbins.rhiannon at abc.net.au>

(This is a slightly-amended version of a note generated by the ABC.)
************
Toss Gascoigne and Associates
56 Vasey Cres
CAMPBELL ACT 2612

Visiting Fellow, College of Science, Australian National University

P. 02 6249 7400
M. 0408 704 442
E. director at tossgascoigne.com.au
W. tossgascoigne.com.au