[ASC-list] Canberra ASC outing: Science Play and Enlighten - Sat 8th March

Phil Dooley phildooley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 02:21:34 UTC 2019

Hi All

Come to a fun night of entertaining science at Enlighten this Saturday 9th
March and see the Poet's Guide to Science - a Sceptic Think Tank, then
check out the lights afterwards.

There will also be a Q&A with the director and cast after the show
discussing how the play came about and what it hopes to achieve.

It's a fictional play about scientific controversies in today's society,
and features guest appearances by local scientists discussing their
research. (not acting, but there is a chance they might dance...) For more
info read the review below...

5.30 - 6.15 - Eat Noodles at night Noodle Markets (meet under the tall
silver fluttery thing in Questacon demo forecourt)
6.30  - 8.00 - Poet's Guide Play
8.00 - 8.20 - Q & A with Michele Conyngham, Phil Dooley and Patrick Davies
Trumper
8.30 - 11  Lights!

Buy your own tickets to the Play in advance here
<https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/the-poets-guide-to-science-a-sceptic-think-tank-tickets-56387170545>
(ASC discount: 20% off with the code MatesRates before midnight Thursday).

Hope to see you there,
Phil

Dr Suzette Searle from CPAS @ ANU said:

*The play was was so enjoyable... rich with ideas, cleverly written and
very funny as the audience, two actors and three guest scientists were
brought together to look upon 'the meaning of life, the universe and
everything' through the differing and overlapping lenses of the arts and
sciences. *

* Michele Conyngham's dialogue was thoughtful, insightful and funny and the
actors, Patrick Davies Trumper and Phil Dooley, were great to watch.*

*This was the first time I had seen such a novel engagement of the public
and scientists on stage to explore what we know and what we choose to
believe about current and controversial scientific issues. It is a great
contribution to the practice of science communication.*

 o  o  o  o
Dr Phil Dooley
Science writer, videomaker, presenter and science communication trainer.
PhilUpOnScience.com.au
YouTube, Facebook, Twitter: Phil Up On Science
Physical: Canberra, Australia
E: phildooley at gmail.com
P: +61 414 94 55 77