[ASC-list] Melbourne Free ANZAAS Science Talk, GTAC, Wed 20th March, Prof Jim Goding 'A difficult birth: the history of the oral contraceptive pill'

David Vaux vaux at wehi.edu.au
Mon Mar 11 22:27:37 UTC 2019

Science Talk, MELBOURNE
All welcome, free, bring your friends!
Free pizza and drinks after the talk

At GTAC, in the grounds of University High School, corner Royal Parade and Story Street, Parkville (enter off Story Street or Royal Parade)

Wednesday 20th March 2019, 6:30 pm

------------------------------

Professor Jim Goding

Emeritus Professor of Experimental Pathology, Monash University

"A difficult birth: the history of the oral contraceptive pill"

In 1965, Jim Goding spent a year in Massachusetts working in the laboratory of Dr. Gregory Pincus, where the oral contraceptive pill was developed and introduced into clinical practice. It is the story of a stubborn genius in organic chemistry, a brilliant biologist, a multimillionaire heiress with a mad husband, a Catholic gynaecologist, battles with the Vatican, radical feminism, and possibly a touch of murder.

Jim Goding is Emeritus Professor of Experimental Pathology at Monash University. He graduated in medicine in 1971. After PhD studies with Gus Nossal at the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute, he spent two years as a post-doctoral fellow in the Department of Genetics at Stanford University, California. He then returned to the Hall Institute as Head of the Immunochemistry Laboratory. In 1985 he was appointed Professor and Chairman of the Department of Pathology and Immunology at Monash University. His research interests have involved the structure and function of receptor molecules in the immune system. His book Monoclonal Antibodies: Principles and Practice went through three editions. Together with Bruce Leyland, he has recently published “Who Will Believe My Verse? The Code in Shakespeare’s Sonnets”.

----------
Forthcoming events:

Wednesday 17th April    Prof Tom Marwick, Director, Baker Institute 'Hospital Admission and Readmission for Chronic Cardiovascular Disease: An Avoidable Cost for our Heath Service'

Thursday 16th May    Prof Tim Stinear, Peter Doherty Institute 'The rise of the Buruli ulcer around Melbourne'

Wednesday 19th June    Prof David Vaux, The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute 'Death of a Cell – Means, Motive, Opportunity’

We are pleased to acknowledge the support by CSL and GTAC for the ANZAAS Melbourne science talks series

Further Info:         David Vaux       9345 2941<tel:9345%202941>                davidlaurencevaux at gmail.com<mailto:davidlaurencevaux at gmail.com>
http://www.anzaas.org.au/victoria/

The information in this email is confidential and intended solely for the addressee.
You must not disclose, forward, print or use it without the permission of the sender.

The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute acknowledges the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin
Nation as the traditional owners of the land where our campuses are located and
the continuing connection to country and community.