[ASC-list] Melbourne Free ANZAAS Science Talk, GTAC, Wed 16th Oct, Christophe Pinte, "Discovery of the first baby planets"

David Vaux vaux at wehi.edu.au
Mon Oct 7 05:55:26 UTC 2019

Science Talk, MELBOURNE
All welcome, free, bring your friends!
Free pizza and drinks after the talk

At GTAC, in the grounds of University High School, corner Royal Parade and Story Street, Parkville (enter off Story Street or Royal Parade)

Wednesday 16th October 2019, 6:30 pm

------------------------------

Dr Christophe Pinte

Astrophysicist, ARC Future Fellow, Monash University

"Discovery of the first baby planets"

We still do not understand how planets form, or why extra-solar planetary systems are so different from our own solar system. I will give an overview of our current understanding, and will then give an update on the latest observations in this fast-moving field from the world’s best telescopes. Finally, I will present the recent discovery of the first confirmed "newborn" planets and describe why our finding is so significant.

Dr Pinte obtained a PhD in astrophysics from  University of Grenoble in France, and has worked in France, Chile, and the UK before coming to Australia. In 2019 he led a team that published a paper in Nature Astronomy describing use of the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array in Chile to identify newborn planets found in the protoplanetary discs surrounding young stars.

We are pleased to acknowledge the support by CSL and GTAC for the ANZAAS Melbourne science talks series

Further Info:         David Vaux       9345 2941<tel:9345%202941>                davidlaurencevaux at gmail.com<mailto:davidlaurencevaux at gmail.com>
http://www.anzaas.org.au/victoria/

The information in this email is confidential and intended solely for the addressee.
You must not disclose, forward, print or use it without the permission of the sender.

The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute acknowledges the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin
Nation as the traditional owners of the land where our campuses are located and
the continuing connection to country and community.