[ASC-list] Science Gallery - MENTAL open call for proposals

Ellie Michaelides ellie.michaelides at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Oct 23 05:43:29 UTC 2019

Hi ASCers,

Science Gallery Melbourne is calling for proposals for our next exhibition MENTAL, which will be the first exhibition in our new gallery! More info below and online at opencall.sciencegallery.com/mental<https://opencall.sciencegallery.com/mental>.

Cheers,
Ellie

MENTAL
OPENING LATE 2020 / EARLY 2021
VENUE: SCIENCE GALLERY MELBOURNE, corner of Swanston and Grattan Streets
OPEN CALL: 10 OCTOBER – 21 NOVEMBER 2019

Science Gallery Melbourne invites proposals from all disciplines to explore the full spectrum of mental health in our first exhibition in the new gallery.

Everyone with a brain is mental, reacting to the world in response to our own perception, biochemistry and emotional state. Almost half of us will directly experience challenges to our mental health when something is out of balance in our lives. Young people are an especially affected group with 75% of those affected first experiencing mental health stress between the ages of 15-24.

Be prepared to challenge your thinking by flexing your mental muscles, exercising your empathy and tackling your taboos. What is your ‘normal’? When is your brain betraying you? Why is mental health stigma still a thing? Can you enhance your brain? Just how much control do you have over your mind?

MENTAL is a welcoming place to confront societal bias and stigma. It will immerse audiences in new research, art and ideas that provoke, respond, and adapt throughout the show. Curated with young adults for young adults, it brings together art, science, and technology grounded in research, evidence and enquiry.

Part experiment, part exhibition - MENTAL is for everyone. Because really, we are all mental.

opencall.sciencegallery.com/mental<https://opencall.sciencegallery.com/mental>

Ellie Michaelides | Learning and Engagement Coordinator
Science Gallery Melbourne

The University of Melbourne, 32 Lincoln Square North, Level 2, Carlton, 3053
T: +61 3 8344 6106  M: +61 404 809 789  E: ellie.michaelides at unimelb.edu.au<mailto:ellie.michaelides at unimelb.edu.au>
facebook.com/scigallerymel |  twitter.com/scigallerymel  |  melbourne.sciencegallery.com

I acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land on which I work, and pay my respects to the Elders, past and present.

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D31D8F.E823DE70]

CRICOS: 00116K

This email and any attachments may contain personal information or information that is otherwise confidential or the subject of copyright. Any use, disclosure or copying of any part of it is prohibited. The University does not warrant that this email or any attachments are free from viruses or defects. Please check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening them. If this email is received in error, please delete it and notify us by return email.