[ASC-list] FREE BRISBANE EVENT: When Neanderthals, Denisovans and modern human met

Damian Harris damian.harris at griffith.edu.au
Wed Sep 11 00:33:07 UTC 2019

[cid:dbafcf74-78f7-4e7e-b74a-a55d4082b94a]
WHAT DATING CAN TELL US ABOUT HUMAN EVOLUTION

How our ancestors evolved, thrived and eventually disappeared, leaving our species, Homo sapiens, as the only human group on the planet, is a fundamental question in human evolution.

Sequencing of ancient genomes has transformed our knowledge of human evolution by providing solid evidence that archaic (Neanderthals, Denisovans) and modern humans interacted and genetically mixed several times between 150,000 and 50,000 years ago. Yet, we know very little about when and where these events happened.

Join Dr Katerina Douka from the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History, Germany as she describes how the application of scientific methodologies, and in particular chronometric dating, helps us understand these processes. Dr Douka will discuss our efforts to date the timing of Neanderthal extinction in Europe and also that of Denisovans. The Denisovans were a mysterious group of humans whose remains have only been identified in southern Siberia, but whose genetic contribution reaches the indigenous populations of Papua New Guinea and Japan.

Finally, she will review the latest data on the expansion of our species, from the Siberian steppe to the rainforests of South Asia about 45,000 years ago, hoping to illustrate how chronometric dating is the key ingredient in understanding human evolution and our own past.

Feel free to distribute to your colleagues.

Register now: http://bit.ly/evolution-dating

WHERE:  QCA Lecture Theatre
        S05_2.04, Griffith University, South Bank, Queensland
WHEN:   Thursday, 26 September, 2019
TIME:   5:30 pm – 7 pm
        7 pm - 8 pm Networking opportunity with canapés and drinks
COST:   FREE

Damian Harris | Marketing and Engagement Manager
Griffith Sciences
Griffith University  | Gold Coast | QLD 4111 | G39 Room 4.32
T +61 7 555 27551 |  email damian.harris at griffith.edu.au<mailto:damian.harris at griffith.edu.au>
griffith.edu.au<http://griffith.edu.au/>
[cid:bd910bf3-1274-4cf2-a00f-f9a77df71f25]
 PRIVILEGED - PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL
This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) and may contain information which is confidential or privileged.  If you receive this email and you are not the addressee or responsible for delivery of the email to the addressee(s), please disregard the contents of the email, delete the mail and notify the author immediately.
Griffith University - CRICOS Provider Number 00233E