[ASC-list] 2019 Australian science communicators remuneration and skills survey

Rob Morrison rmorrison at flinders.edu.au
Fri Sep 13 02:48:14 UTC 2019

Perhaps a useful survey but it seems to miss a few important things.

There are many questions about whether we conduct our own research/feedback/examination of demographics etc, and I don't, but one of my main activities is putting out science material on a Youtube Channel and YouTube does a huge amount of this. As a result I READ and take note of a great deal of that kind of research that is automatically done on the science material that I put out there. Just because I don''t do it myself does not mean that my output is not comprehensively measured and evaluated.

It also wants to know about income but surely it is important to know whether this is income pre- or post- retirement, for example? There seems no way in which to indicate this, but it could give a very misleading result. $20,000 a year would be pitiful as a living wage but quite OK as a hobby or a retirement interest.

It also demands to know which branch of science I usually perform in but there seems to be no category for science as a whole of for all aspects of science, as a number of us embrace when presenting science for primary and young children - not to mention the scientific method itself. 'Other' seems to be the only way to answer this, but surely it is important to know about generalists?

Perhaps I miss the point of the survey, but these things may colour the result if it is to convey the financial return on being a science communicator..

I'd certainly not want to discourage anyone from completing it. I have done so.

Dr Rob Morrison
rob.morrison at flinders.edu.au