[ASC-list] $6.6 million+ in prizes and scholarships; register for Science Week promotion; media = more citations

Tanya Ha tanya at scienceinpublic.com.au
Mon Jul 20 04:27:39 UTC 2020

Dear ASCers,

Our latest science sector stakeholder bulletin is below.

I want to particularly highlight that it’s less than a month until National Science Week.

We’re the national publicity agency, but we can only highlight the activities, events and initiatives that are registered with the official website at www.scienceweek.net.au<http://www.scienceweek.net.au>.

If you haven’t already, register any event or activity you’re planning at https://www.scienceweek.net.au/registration/. The sooner you do, the greater your chance of getting more media coverage and a larger audience. More in the bulletin below.

Kind regards,

Tanya

Tanya Ha
Publicist, National Science Week
Director of Engagement
Science in Public
Mobile: 0404 083 863
Email: tanya at scienceinpublic.com.au<mailto:tanya at scienceinpublic.com.au>
82 Hudsons Road, (PO Box 2076), Spotswood VIC 3015,
www.scienceinpublic.com.au<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D65EA1.797318A0]

View this email in your browser<https://mailchi.mp/scienceinpublic/taieoa6ffs-3192080?e=ebc79d10bf>
$6.6 million+ in prizes and scholarships; register for Science Week promotion; media = more citations.

Dear Tanya,

Prizes:

  *   $3.3 million for ECR and PhD students. Westpac Scholars is offering two research Fellowships, 17 Masters/PhD scholarships, 10 social change fellowships and more.
  *   2 x $50K Metcalf Prizes for Stem Cell Research – close Friday 31 July. Details below.<x-msg://1/#metcalf>
  *   The BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards (international) - close Thursday 30 July.
  *   Engagement Australia Excellence Awards (formerly the BHERT Awards) – close Friday 31 July.
Give us a call if you’d like help developing a prizes strategy for your organisation and / or help with nominations.

Media coverage boosts citations
Want more citations for your paper? Media and social media will help according to a recent paper in Plos One. I’ve put together some tips on how to maximise your Altmetric score<x-msg://1/#citations>. It’s a good benchmarking tool for visibility of your paper.

Curious about what media your research could get? Talk to us. We’re offering free consultations, and a “takeaway” media release service. More below.<x-msg://1/#menu>

Or book a communication planning workshop<x-msg://1/#About%20us> for your researchers.
Or join our next online media and communication masterclass<x-msg://1/#masterclass> on 5 and 6 August.

National Science Week is a month away. NOW is the time to register your event – the sooner you do the greater your chances of attracting an audience and media coverage. More information and publicity resources below<x-msg://1/#sciweek>. We’re looking after national media so if you’ve got something special planned, let us know.

Other news and opportunities in brief:

  *   The Policy Playbook – how to navigate policy advocacy wisely and well<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=1bf157ad7e&e=ebc79d10bf>: Thursday 30 July, 11am AEST. Webinar presented by Science & Technology Australia and the Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering.
  *   [https://mcusercontent.com/d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf/images/f9193531-8cb8-4610-98f3-fb8c6e3dd245.jpg] Public feedback sought by the NHMRC on the updated guidance that provides advice on the radiological quality of drinking water. Submissions close Wednesday 12 August. More information<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=23fd63c694&e=ebc79d10bf>.
  *   The Decadal Plan for Astronomy<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=61ac76a88c&e=ebc79d10bf>: The Australian Academy of Science has released its mid-term review.
  *   11,000 books, 480 telescopes and 80 Foldscope kits have been shipped to over 102 remote schools by Deadly Science<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=4c0138db6b&e=ebc79d10bf>. You can support them by making a donation<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=c6215e4236&e=ebc79d10bf>, or buying a jumper or t-shirt from the Think Inc shop<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=2296b24a43&e=ebc79d10bf>.
  *   Space traffic management, recycling solar panels, and removing the bushfire smoke taint from wine are among the 10 business–research collaborative projects receiving a share of $25 million in funding through the Cooperative Research Centres Projects (CRC-Ps) initiative. Read media release from Minister Karen Andrews<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=cad56bb042&e=ebc79d10bf>

Kind regards,
Niall

Register your National Science Week activities
[https://mcusercontent.com/d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf/images/a30f5289-c365-4c0c-969f-e76db4fe6645.jpg]
Deep fake videos, satellite selfies and sautéed spiders: Whatever your science, share it with new audiences during National Science Week from 15 to 23 August.

Last year, 1.5 million Australians got involved in more than 2,000 registered events around the country.

More than 2,870 media stories mentioned National Science Week, with many more covering the events and science in general.

If you are running an event during Science Week, NOW is the time to act:

  1.  Register your event: www.scienceweek.net.au/registration/<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=3a6f0e5f91&e=ebc79d10bf>.
  2.  Get help on how to run and promote your event
     *    A Guide to Running a Public Event<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=7692f502b3&e=ebc79d10bf>
     *    How to generate publicity for your national science week event<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=00c3fa387d&e=ebc79d10bf>
     *   A full set of logos and images<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=8d09be91db&e=ebc79d10bf> for National Science Week and Inspiring Australia
     *   A range of helpful templates<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=c4d2a604a0&e=ebc79d10bf> including posters, certificates, invitations and run sheets.
     *   Our guide to writing a great event description<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=f45bcb88ef&e=ebc79d10bf>.

  1.  Tell us the media angle. Science in Public is again providing publicity support, so if you’re planning an event or speaker with strong media appeal, let us know—scienceweek at scienceinpublic.com.au<mailto:scienceweek at scienceinpublic.com.au> and we’ll consider including it in highlights media releases.
More information at: www.scienceweek.net.au<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=f719e6d22d&e=ebc79d10bf>

Highlights so far for 2020 include:

  *   Swim with giant Australian cuttlefish<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=7d594070d9&e=ebc79d10bf> without getting wet, through an online virtual tour of Upper Spencer Gulf Marine Park.
  *   Fake meat, sautéed spiders and lobster lollipops<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=243facaeee&e=ebc79d10bf>: how will we feed a global population of 10 billion? In online events, scientists discuss foods of the future, with mystery boxes sent for sampling.
  *   E$$ENTIAL MEDICINE$ – scientists from the Breaking Good project<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=50afae5794&e=ebc79d10bf>, involving the community in chemistry research, explore overpriced drugs and improving access to essential medicines.
  *   Requiem for a Reef<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=44a3869ddd&e=ebc79d10bf>: artist Ngaio Fitzpatrick and composer Alexander Hunter explore the fragility of the Great Barrier Reef through sculpture, music, and Q&A with scientists, livestreamed from Canberra Glassworks.
  *   The Big Watermelon Experiment<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=637f68d2aa&e=ebc79d10bf>: schools learning about physics and forces by seeing how many rubber bands it takes to implode a watermelon.
  *   Sci Art Walks into Tasmania’s Wilderness: audio artworks and talks from prominent Tassie scientists, musicians and cultural icons to accompany people on walks in the state’s natural wonders.

Westpac Scholars: $3.3 million for ERCs and students

[https://mcusercontent.com/d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf/images/ae2a653e-1d4f-4b83-ab21-1779a10c494d.jpg]Westpac is giving out 60 scholarships in four categories this year, aimed at supporting technology and innovation, driving positive social change, and strengthening Australia-Asia ties.

Research Fellowship: $400K+ over 5 years
Two Fellowships are awarded annually to early career researchers who have demonstrated high academic achievement to date in at least one of the Foundation’s focus areas.

As well as financial support, the Fellowships help recipients build their profile, develop leadership skills and expand networks.

The Fellowships are open for applications from Australian residents and permanent citizens awarded a PhD between 1 September 2014 and 1 September 2017.

Applications close Tuesday 25 August 2020. More information<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=4462a6baf6&e=ebc79d10bf>.

Future Leaders Scholarship
17 scholarships of up to $120,000 over 2-3 years are on offer to support full-time Master or PhD candidates studying at one of nine partner universities. The scholarships also provide a nine-month Leadership Development Program.

Applications close on Wednesday 2 September. There will be an information webinar on Tuesday 21 July. More information<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=f46258d4b8&e=ebc79d10bf>.

Social Change Fellowship
Does your research or work involve social innovation and changing the world?
There are 10 Social Change Fellowships per year, each valued at up to $50,000.

Applications close Friday 17 July. More information<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=4bc0f53d83&e=ebc79d10bf>.

Young Technologists Scholarships
$5,000 per year over three years for high school graduates enrolled in an approved technology-related degree at one of five partner universities.

Applications are open, with closing dates set by each partnering university. More information<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=ab927e824d&e=ebc79d10bf>.

2 x $50,000  Metcalf Prizes for Stem Cell Research

Entries close 31 July (National)
[https://mcusercontent.com/d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf/images/d5cf84f7-55be-4006-9d34-6460caa677f8.jpg]

Applications are now open for the 2020 Metcalf Prizes for Stem Cell Research from the National Stem Cell Foundation of Australia.
The Metcalf Prizes are open to mid-career researchers, 5 to 10 years past their PhD or MD (research based), working in Australia with a focus on stem cell research. Two prizes, worth $50,000 each, will be awarded to one male and one female scientist in recognition of their leadership and achievements in stem cell research.

More information<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=51e0320d18&e=ebc79d10bf>

Other prizes and opportunities

National awards

[https://mcusercontent.com/d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf/images/9043fbf2-48fe-432b-b6df-f717326a38f1.jpg]Engagement Australia Excellence Awards - closes Friday 31 July
The Engagement Australia Excellence Awards identify and celebrate impactful engagement activities undertaken by Australian universities. Individuals can submit their own, but all applications require University endorsement.
This new program replaces the former BHERT Awards for Higher Education collaboration in Australia. The award categories include:

  *   Award for Excellence in Community Engagement
  *   Award for Excellence in Community Engagement: Closing the Gap
  *   Award for Excellence in Industry Engagement
  *   Award for Outstanding Engagement for Research Impact
  *   Award for Excellence in Student Engagement
  *   Award for Excellence in Alumni Engagement
  *   Award for Outstanding Leadership in Engagement
More information<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=a234e2b9e8&e=ebc79d10bf>

International

The BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards - closes Thursday 30 July
The BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards recognise fundamental contributions in a broad array of areas of scientific knowledge, technology, humanities and artistic creation.

Each category presents a cash prize of 400,000 euros (~AUD$650,000), a diploma and a commemorative artwork in each of their eight categories.

Categories include:

  *   Basic Sciences (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics)
  *   Biology and Biomedicine
  *   Information and Communication Technologies
  *   Ecology and Conservation Biology
  *   Climate Change
  *   Economics, Finance and Management
  *   Humanities and Social Sciences
  *   Music and Opera
Australian Frontiers of Knowledge Laureates include coral reef scientist Prof Terry Hughes and climate change researcher Prof John Church.

More information<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=3361890233&e=ebc79d10bf>

Media amplifies citations

Your research is more likely to get cited by your peers if it is reported in popular media and social media according to new research published in PLOS One<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=d876ebe7d5&e=ebc79d10bf>.

The research looked at 818 scientific articles published in 2007 or 2008 and measured their media coverage, scientific impact (citations), and non-scientific impact (Altmetric Attention Score).

While their study only looked at a set of sport science journals, other studies have reached similar conclusions. One study went so far as to suggest that Altmetric scores could predict citation rates and inform your reading list.

Altmetric scores aren’t perfect, they miss a lot of mainstream coverage. But they are a standardised measure.

Here are some ways to maximise your Altmetric score:

  *   Tweet about your paper from your and your organisation’s account. And include a clickable DOI or direct link to the paper
  *   Include the handles of your research partners, funders and coauthors
  *   Ensure that the DOI or direct link is in your media release
  *   Ensure that your media release appears in your newsroom and/or home page.
 OR,

Talk to us. We can help you explain your latest discovery in a way that is accurate, has impact and help you tell your story to the world.

Our options include:

  *   Freebie: buy me a coffee and I’ll give you 15 minutes of advice on how best to promote your paper for impact (coffee optional during COVID).
  *   Phone help: a one-hour session and a brief plan to help you maximise the impact of your announcement/release with stakeholders, $400
  *   Takeaway: we’ll help with a media release on your next paper for $3,000 including liaison with your inhouse team, distribution, stakeholders etc. Large and complex stories will cost more.
  *   Dine-in: we plan and deliver a media and communication strategy for your project, laboratory or institute over three months, mentoring your team so they can take over.
  *   Platinum service: we can handle all your communication support: planning, publicity, publishing and training.
[https://mcusercontent.com/d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf/images/1cc2eca2-c567-4e90-b4de-4fbce72d196f.jpg]

Recent hits
We’ve been playing with Altmetric scores as a measure of the effectiveness of our work. Across 28 media releases for one of our clients last year we generated nearly three times the average Altmetric score. Some highlights include:

Cold War nuclear bomb tests reveal true age of whale sharks<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=1c0480a467&e=ebc79d10bf> for the Australian Institute of Marine Science achieve an Altmetric of 1,075, a record for the journal.

A tech story, Windows will soon generate electricity, following solar cell breakthrough<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=6e661817bf&e=ebc79d10bf> generated trade press and an Altmetric of 178, putting it in the top five percent of papers tracked.

Our Warped and twisted Milky Way<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=b911290350&e=ebc79d10bf> story for Macquarie University achieved an Altmetric score of 2,832, and ranked 60thof the 2.7 million publications tracked by Altmetric.

[https://mcusercontent.com/d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf/images/3e7abf7a-2772-4898-ba25-69fe960df987.jpg]
Masterclass in media and communication

Wednesday 5 and Thursday 6 August, 9am – 1pm AEST, Online via Zoom $800 pp +GST

Meet journalists from television, radio and newspaper and talk to them about your research. Ask them questions and practice being interviewed by them with feedback provided. Interviews are done one-on-one in break-out rooms on Zoom.

The masterclass will also cover key messages, tricky questions, media releases, social media and how to build your profile. We’ll help you find the right words to explain your research to the media, as well as for government, industry and other stakeholders.

Book now: bit.ly/mediatrainingtix<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=42c7bdec3c&e=ebc79d10bf>

Research communication, media support, science writing, forums, workshops, presentation and media training

We are passionate about helping scientists get their work into the public space. Whether it is reaching decision-makers, potential commercial partners, farmers, patients or mums and dads at home. We offer:

Communication plans, mentoring and training
We can review your stakeholders, messages and tools and help you and your communication team refine your plans. We offer this service for individual announcements or for a whole program or institute.

Media releases, launches, and campaigns
We can help you develop an outreach program, from a simple media release through to a launch, a summit, a conference, or a film.

Publications and copy-writing
From a tweet to a newsletter, from a brochure to a Nature supplement—we can write compelling and accurate, science-driven copy that captures the essence of your story and purpose.

Forums, workshops and training
Can you and your researchers sum up your science in 30 seconds? Will a general audience understand it? Will media be interested?

We bring the experts to you with online forums including: Meet the media, Talking to stakeholders, and Should you be on social?

Short workshops on Make your pitch/presentation; and Develop your online profile. Full day masterclasses as well as one-on-one presentation training or communication planning.

Courses are adaptable for early career through to leadership and can suit 1 to 100 participants. Currently delivered online via Zoom/teams or your preferred platform. Read the full menu online<https://scienceinpublic.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d83751047dc5a93e0049c04bf&id=221fce97ef&e=ebc79d10bf>.

Kind regards,
________

Niall Byrne

Creative Director