[ASC-list] Members Q&A - Taking the Freelance Leap in 2020 with Lee Constable

ASC Canberra Branch asccanberra at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 05:00:11 UTC 2020

 Join us for the next in our series where we will be hosting science
communicator, television presenter, children's author, and biologist, Lee
Constable.

What does the bumpy road as a fledgling sci comm freelancer look like in
2020? What is fair pay and when should you agree to do your sci comm for
free? What have the positive and negative impacts been on the way sci comm
careers happen is Australia?

*Monday 2 November*

*1.30 pm AEDT*
*Register now at https://bit.ly/30XQDHw <https://bit.ly/30XQDHw>*

Lee was host of Scope, Network Ten's science show for children aged 7–13,
between 2016-2019. With Lee as presenter, the show became 'more
intentionally accessible to kids who might not consider themselves
stand-out students.' She was selected for the Emerging Producer Program by
the World Congress of Science and Factual Producers in 2018.

Lee was part of the largest all-female Antarctica expedition with Homeward
Bound in its 2018 iteration.

To tie in with World Environment Day 2019, Penguin published Constable's
book How to Save the Whole Stinkin' Planet, illustrated by James Hart,
under its Puffin imprint.

In 2020, Lee took the leap from television to freelance sci comm. And then
the pandemic hit.

Send through your questions on changing careers, freelancing, setting up a
sci comm business, the losses and opportunities of 2020, and the evolving
face of science communication.

Register now at https://bit.ly/30XQDHw

*ASC Canberra Committee*
Our ASC profile <http://www.asc.asn.au/state-and-national/act/%20>