[ASC-list] New Keynote Speakers announced and Early Bird Registration ending soon!

Lisa Bailey Lisa.Bailey at unisa.edu.au
Wed Oct 27 22:25:14 UTC 2021

We are pleased to announce additional keynote speakers for ASC Online 2021:

Wednesday 17 November

Ullrich Ecker
Presenting The continued influence of misinformation

Ullrich is a cognitive psychologist at the University of Western Australia’s School of Psychological Science. His research focuses on the impact of misinformation on memory, reasoning, and behaviour, as well as misinformation inoculation and debunking techniques.

Misinformation often continues to affect reasoning post-correction—this is known as the continued influence effect. I will present some new work that investigates the impact of corrected misinformation on behaviours (as opposed to behavioural intentions), and will review some recent evidence that relates to social-context factors influencing the continued influence effect, including source credibility, social norms, and worldview congruence. I will demonstrate that initial concerns that corrections tend to backfire were largely unwarranted, and will touch on the importance of replication work, as well as implications for policy and science communication.
Friday 19 November

Fiona Hillary
Presenting: Posthuman perspectives for scicomm

Join Fiona to explore contemporary public practices in the field. Thinking through site as a laboratory this session will investigate interdisciplinary practices that create the conditions for artists to make public works at the intersection of art and science. Explore how art and science offer new readings of site – where we tug at the fabric of life – reconstituting what public is – revealing alternative stories of site – through practices that involve attuning to the entanglements that emerge in public space.

Fiona Hillary is a Melbourne based artist working in the public realm. Working with site, neon, sound, human and non-human companion species, Fiona engages audiences through temporary, fleeting encounters in and of the everyday. Her creative and curatorial interests lie in praxiological approaches to test-sites of public practice, specifically exploring sites as a kind of public laboratory and how this approach reveals new stories of site with a specific focus on the intersection of art and science. Fiona is the Program Manager of the Master of Arts – Art in Public Space at RMIT University.
You can read more about the program at http://www.asc.asn.au/asc2021-online/keynote-speakers/

And don’t’ forget to purchase your Early Bird Registration before the weekend! (closes 31 October)
https://www.scicomm.network/events/register.aspx?id=1559386&itemid=2fbef0ca-6c65-4519-92c1-67f86693aed9